First Time Post: see anything wrong with this hardtop?? - Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

New Member Area Are you new to Blazer Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Old 04-15-2018, 01:32 PM

72Jimmy916 is on a distinguished road
Default First Time Post: see anything wrong with this hardtop??

I recently bought a 72 Jimmy. Always wanted one, now I have it!!
but I got no roof!

found one but itís not local and the pics are blurry. Thought maybe you fine folks could take a look and tell me what you think.

My first impression is that there seems to be some damage at the very front.

I also talked to a metal fabricator who said he can build one and suggested aluminum to cut down on the weight.

I dont have a price yet, what does everyone think about aluminum for a top?

Im in northern Cali 100 degree summer days are not unusual, winters pretty mild.
The fronts got some crumple. Difficult fix?
Single wall
I know these are becoming more and more rare. Whatís a good deal nowadays

Let me me know what you think

Thanks!
Old 04-15-2018, 01:58 PM
Administrator

swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum!

That looks like a top from a 73-75 truck that has a window stuck into it at the back. I would need to see the front of the top to know for sure. The 69-72 tops were flat across the front while the 73-75 tops curve down at the 'A' pillars to somewhat match the windshield.

As far as prices go, it's a crap shoot. Some sellers want your first born while others just want them gone. I paid $100 for the extra 73-75 top that I have. It does need some repair work, but nothing major. The largest issue is along the bed rail that will be easy to re-glass.
Old 04-15-2018, 02:34 PM

Hey Swartlkk, thanks for the help and expertise!

Doesn't sound like a match for me, but if anyone is interested, PM me and I can tell you where I found it.

Has anyone had a successful fabrication project meet fruition?

Seems like new tech and available materials might work out to a lightweight version of the original.

Im sure im not the first one to bring this up
Old 04-15-2018, 02:47 PM
Administrator

swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on what you are referring to as a "fabrication project".

If you are looking for a lightweight option, a soft top is the way to go. Sure you could hand lay some woven fiberglass rather than the chopped fiber that was used originally and make a slightly lighter version. You could also go wild and make it out of woven carbon fiber. Both would be MUCH more expensive than finding a good or salvageable original including bringing them back to 'as new' status.
Old 04-16-2018, 03:57 AM

Dream killer!
I kid. I know, I got newbie optimism.

Metal fabricator said heíd make one out of aluminum, not sure how practical that is though.

Softtopper or....softopper is the only option?

right now mine has a small $80 bikini top from summit thatís made for a scout.

Doesnt do do anything for back passengers (kids)

thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swartlkk View Post
Depends on what you are referring to as a "fabrication project".

If you are looking for a lightweight option, a soft top is the way to go. Sure you could hand lay some woven fiberglass rather than the chopped fiber that was used originally and make a slightly lighter version. You could also go wild and make it out of woven carbon fiber. Both would be MUCH more expensive than finding a good or salvageable original including bringing them back to 'as new' status.
Old 04-17-2018, 05:28 PM
Starting Member

N. Jensen is on a distinguished road

You're in Cali....who needs a roof!
Old 04-19-2018, 06:41 PM
Beginning Member

boudreaux55 is on a distinguished road

that is not a 68-72 k5 top in your pictures.
that is for a 73-75
Old 04-19-2018, 06:54 PM

Thanks for the knowledge drops, Guys. Iím learning.

As far as topless in In Cali, thatís the plan for as many months in the year as possible.

Low 40s, the family isnít climbing in without that top!
Old 04-19-2018, 06:57 PM

I was also told that mastertop would be coming out with a softtop for us ďsoonĒ.

anyone else hear this?

Not it sure that it will/would be any better. Iíd really like something that uses roll bars/cages instead of their HW.