New Member Area Are you new to Blazer Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Hello from North-Central Ohio

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 09:26 PM
Beginning Member
tornado_735 is on a distinguished road
Default Hello from North-Central Ohio

Hello all. My name is Aaron, and I recently acquired a 1998 Blazer LS on a trade for my old 1996 Pontiac Grand Prix.

She is in a definite need of some work, but I've got a few of the issues worked out.

The instrument cluster would randomly go haywire, with the tach jumping all over the place and the lights all coming on, and sometimes flickering. That seemed to be fixed when I unhooked the negative cable to work on it, and later hooked it back up. The odometer reads in KM, and it only reads 700km, so something is still not quite right with it. Also, the gear indicator display doesn't work anymore. But at least it doesn't go nuts anymore.

The stop lamps didn't work when I checked. I thought it was a BCM (I also thought the BCM might be causing the problem with the dash). But in the course of troubleshooting, I discovered that someone had unplugged the brake light switch. I plugged it back in, and I have stop lamps. The CHMSL LED strip needs replaced I think.

Still fighting a brake pedal with long travel, and an apparent brake fluid leak. The front axle also doesn't engage although the transfer case works.

At some point prior to me owning it, the hood flew up and damaged the windshield, so that's next on the list.

All in all, I think I came out on the winning end of the deal.

I'll try and get a picture of it tomorrow.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:30 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

welcome from NY looks like you got some work ahead of you

Old 06-07-2011, 12:00 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by xgiovannix12
welcome from NY looks like you got some work ahead of you

I'm coming off owning a 1995 Land Rover Discovery, so there's not much about a Blazer that can frighten me LOL! I think major things I have to focus on now are the windshield, the brakes, and the loose feeling front end.

I have a very good friend that collects Land Rovers and Range Rovers. I told him that I got a Blazer, and he told me how much he likes the 4.3l. He called it 'a sweet little powerplant' and said that I wouldn't regret owning one.

Old 06-11-2011, 11:41 PM
BF Veteran
DKSDAD is a jewel in the roughDKSDAD is a jewel in the roughDKSDAD is a jewel in the rough

Welcome from another New Yorker.

Old 06-12-2011, 12:27 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by DKSDAD
Welcome from another New Yorker.
Thanks :-) So far, I'm pretty happy with it. It has it's quirks like any other vehicle, but it hasn't caused any major issues thus far, knock on wood.