New Member Area Are you new to Blazer Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Junkyard Jimmaay - New member - Calgary, AB

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 05:03 PM
Beginning Member
Pat8987 is on a distinguished road
Default Junkyard Jimmaay - New member - Calgary, AB

Hi there I have been lurking for a while. I bought a 1995 GMC Jimmy for $100 last year in May. I have been working on it in my backyard as I have time after work/weekends.
The truck has sat for the past few years. Buddy who I bought it from had it for over 10 years, lots of parts have been replaced and not done yet!
This truck has been affectionately named the junkyard jimmy - My goal is to try to get as many parts from recycled parts cars as possible to keep the budget light.
It is a 4 door 4x4 - 3.73 rear end g80

When I received it, battery needed to be replaced with another one to get it moving, all brakes were pooched as well as all the tires were rotting.
Brake line to the rear axle blew,
Radiator had a pin hole in it
Power steering lines were leaking
Oil cooler lines leaking
Bad rusty/rot on rear left arch
The wheel bearings were good surprisingly!

My plan originally was to upgrade front and back brakes to the 98+ style disk brakes. I found a rear axle from the pick n pull and grabbed it on the 50% off weekend, to find out it was not the "right" axle - I wanted to upgrade to the 8.5!
So I cleaned it up and sold it to a hot rodder for triple the price (haha)
I also found a bush guard for it, but it has different mounting points compared to the 98+ blazers... So cleaned it up and sold for triple again hahah
It took me a few months to find a cheap/clean 95 radiator, and once i did I found another better one for even cheaper after... So now I got a spare 1995 radiator if anything happens.
Bought 2 huge electrical fans to swap in(Not sure what they are from), I am going to use to volvo cooling fan relay and hopefully get it all automated + have some switches for river crossings.

Found some front pads off kijiji from someone for 20 bucks, got some free front rotors that I just cleaned up, and also found some *almost* brand new drums that were recently turned. So bought new wheel cylinders, drum hardware and basically got the brakes working for now. I have a spare master cylinder that will need to be swapped in as it is leaking from between the brake booster and master cylinder. Looking for an upgraded one from maybe a full ton pick up?
During the front rotor install I snapped the caliper bolt on the front right side, took me another few months to find a cheap knuckle (I am not spending 250 on a rusty *** knuckle with more KM than my project car! )
I also have swapped in all 6 speakers and have a bluetooth head unit.
I picked up clean muffler and exhaust, waiting for some better weather to get it welded up. The 3 bolt flange will need to be cut off and a new one put on, I will probably delete the cat at this time.

About a month ago, finally took it for its maiden voyage to the gas station and was driving fine.
Was able to get both rear wheels locked when i did a burn out
After this little drive(about an hour long, city driving) I noticed the coolant was practically gone.
So I added straight coolant, burped the air out of the cooling system, and left it for a few weeks as the polar vortex appeared from the north!

Took the jimmy for another little drive - front wanders while the wheel is straight - but it ran pretty good!
When it was going back to idle though, it would have a hard time having a smooth idle...
It would bog for a few moments, then run real nice, then it would be running real rough and even shaking!

I took apart the intake plenum and as many pictures have shown, it is washed on the left (regulator side) but on the fuel line side it has milkshake/real dirty mixture which could not be good... It is a very light misting of it, and no coolant is pooled up in any spots except right on the fuel lines...

So at this point I decided I actually need to buy some new parts for it - Ordered some Fel pro gaskets for the Intake plenum and lower intake manifolds. Also got a dorman fuel pressure regulator, as well as a O2 defouler.

I have also picked up a Lund moon visor off a sonoma, and I got an envoy rear spoiler as well, so will have to paint those babies black.

So yeah! Sorry for the long winded post but now you are officially up to speed.
If anyone is in Calgary and wants to wrench together I wouldnt mind helping anotha brotha out!

Cheers

Old 03-12-2019, 05:36 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

Welcome to the forum!

Sounds like you got a nice truck coming along! What are your ultimate plans? Lift kit, tires, etc, or a nice reliable clean stock ride?

Old 03-12-2019, 07:40 PM
odat is on a distinguished road

Welcome from Wyoming - Good luck with your project....

Old 03-12-2019, 07:46 PM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road

Welcome! Looking forward to seeing this nice ride

Old 03-12-2019, 08:10 PM
Beginning Member
OlympicWhiteZr2 is on a distinguished road

Welcome, from Texas. These guys are great a encouraging build and mods... lots of good info and insight.

Old 03-12-2019, 10:21 PM
Beginning Member

Thank you for the warm welcome, I'll try to take pictures of my little project as I break and fix things.

Here's the Jimmy and my daily racecar beside it.

Old 03-13-2019, 08:59 AM
go chevy is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Pat8987
Thank you for the warm welcome, I'll try to take pictures of my little project as I break and fix things.

Here's the Jimmy and my daily racecar beside it.
Welcome to the fun!!! I am more of the "break things" rather than fixing them

Old 03-13-2019, 10:39 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by go chevy
Welcome to the fun!!! I am more of the "break things" rather than fixing them
Thanks buddy, it is definately easier to break things on the Jimmy haha but that's half the fun - fixing with better parts (hopefully)
Speaking of parts, my gaskets and fuel regulator has shipped for sugar Land TX.
Here's to hoping FedEx gets their **** together and delivery my parts by Friday

Old 03-13-2019, 12:56 PM
Starting Member
Trukntigger is on a distinguished road

That hanger for the running board looks like it wants to stab my shins! It’s a nice start, 100$ for that. One good thing there were so many built and having Blazers, Jimmy’s and Bravada’s along with the pickups parts at the boneyards still can be found (tho ZR2 parts are getting rare). Got my cruise control off a ‘99 s10 pickup been working great along with some front seat recline parts from a 99 blazer. Welcome to the forums.

Old 03-13-2019, 03:53 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Trukntigger
That hanger for the running board looks like it wants to stab my shins! It’s a nice start, 100$ for that. One good thing there were so many built and having Blazers, Jimmy’s and Bravada’s along with the pickups parts at the boneyards still can be found (tho ZR2 parts are getting rare). Got my cruise control off a ‘99 s10 pickup been working great along with some front seat recline parts from a 99 blazer. Welcome to the forums.
Care to show a picture of the cruise control? Is it on the steering wheel?
Having the running board off as the bolts sheared off in the middle and it was bouncing while driving

Quick Reply: Junkyard Jimmaay - New member - Calgary, AB