New Member Area Are you new to Blazer Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Looking at Blazers

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 07:20 PM
DoubleSh0t is on a distinguished road
Default Looking at Blazers

Hey everyone... I don't have a Blazer yet, but I'm looking at a one right now. Currently I have a 1998 Acura CL with some modifications. It has been very good to me, but it's time to move on.

Right now I'm looking at a 2003 Blazer LS 4D 4x4. It's in immaculate condition inside with some scratches on the outside. Has never been hit. It has just under 100,000 miles. I'm going to the dealer tomorrow as long as it isn't sold. Hopefully I will have it tomorrow night if they can work with me on financing. I'm a college student working part time so I don't have the cash to buy it outright. But between what I hope to get for my Acura and the down payment I can afford it will be half the price of the truck. So I'm hopeful.

Anyone have any advice/input? I know these trucks have some issues, I just don't want a car payment AND high maintenance costs. My Acura is 100% paid for.

Old 02-28-2010, 07:38 PM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about

Welcome... driving it is a bit different than an acura... be sure to take the time to test drive and be sure... they are amazing, but some people just dont like it.... it all depends.. Goodluck with the buy..

Old 02-28-2010, 07:47 PM

Thank you. My parents have a 1995 Tahoe which I drive so I'm pretty familiar with driving an SUV. I don't think I'll have any problems adjusting.

Old 02-28-2010, 08:41 PM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about

IT was the biggest adjustment for me, and I love it, but some people hate it... ie my fiancee.... lol...
Also be sure to test teh 4x4 if it has it, as well as EVERYTHING you can think of and hell... even give her a crawl underneath for rusty spots

Old 02-28-2010, 09:44 PM
Beginning Member
toxikchevy is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by wlorton
IT was the biggest adjustment for me, and I love it, but some people hate it... ie my fiancee.... lol...
Also be sure to test teh 4x4 if it has it, as well as EVERYTHING you can think of and hell... even give her a crawl underneath for rusty spots
Definatly check out the 4x4. Alot of people just buy it and dont figure that its in poor shape but dealers try to screw you to the nails sometimes so kick it in four wheel low and see if its good. even four wheel high too. Ohh and dont forget once you get it to test out the mud

Old 02-28-2010, 10:32 PM

Yep, 4x4 will be the first thing I check. Anything else to look out for?

Old 02-28-2010, 11:19 PM
BF Veteran
kiwiblazer is on a distinguished road

More Mud!! LOL

Welcome from New Zealand.

Old 03-01-2010, 07:56 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Welcome to the forum from Canada!

I'd say 4x4 is the biggest issue on these trucks. Check that first. Also give it a good drive first. There are quite a few issues with the 4.3 bogging down. You might want to check out the thread called "common quirks with Blazers"...give it a read and you'll see the most common problems.

Old 03-01-2010, 08:39 AM
BF Veteran
DKSDAD is a jewel in the roughDKSDAD is a jewel in the roughDKSDAD is a jewel in the rough

Check the coolant level, also check the under side of the radiator cap and the overflow bottle for a dark rusty caey crud. Also,run the vehicle with heat on and off and listen for gurgeling/bubbling behind the dash as it could possibly be a sign of Dex-Cool disease where the coolant starts to go bad and possibly foul up the cooling system. If you did not know the coolant in the Blazer is the orangy Tang coolered stuff. Another place to look is for oil leaks comming from the oil cooler lines. The best place to look is th crawl under the front of the truck and open the flapper door in the front skid plate ( you can use quarter if you did not want to bring a screw driver ) and stick your hands in and feel around for exess oil leakage. Some oil will be normal from oil changes but you just want to check. I have owned my truck since new and love it but I don't someone new to the Blazer world to get a one that needs a lot of work right away and leave you with a bad feeling about our beloved Blazers.Especially when we are steeling you from the dark side world of imports. Sorry for the long post.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:05 AM
Unlimitedsp is on a distinguished road

Check the front suspension. Mainly your ball joints. Welcome to the forum

Quick Reply: Looking at Blazers