New Member Area Are you new to Blazer Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

New here - Old time Blazer owner, now a 99 Bravada owner

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2019, 11:36 PM
Robinson Mason is on a distinguished road
Default New here - Phoenix Open Edition 1999 Bravada owner

Hello All, years ago I used to help moderate a then growing GM fan forum GMinsidenews.com as "Ming" and enjoyed all forms of GM cars. I had a 2-door Blazer back then in the early 2000s that I had some fun customizing. And old photo here:

Sadly, I sold it but I always look back fondly on it (and an old GMC Safari). So recently I got a "new" (for me) 1999 Bravada shipped to me from Arizona with all the trimmings and a very unusual factory appearance package (was a surprise to me) that I've shared in another thread, but since it needed Moderator approval (and hasn't happened since yesterday) I'm sharing again here.

Long story short I thought I was getting a regular Bravada shipped to me (with a gold package and factory trailering kit) - and considered getting rid of the "weird" emblems and pinstripe - but found out it was one of a handful of Bravadas supplied from the factory to the Phoenix Open Golf Tournament back in the 90s since Oldsmobile sponsored that tournament. Apparently the VIPs drove around in them. It only had 2 owners since - perhaps the first quickly sold it after winning it? I found another reference to a Phoenix Open vehicle by Oldsmobile in this post: https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/20...-open-edition/

Needless to say I won't be getting rid of the emblems or pinstriping, even though I'm not really a golf fan. (Nothing against golf, I just don't follow it)

I've only cleaned it up with some polish and elbow grease - interior was very clean, looked like no one ever used the rear seats, added some ventshades and a bugflector - just like my old Blazer - and a set of original Uniroyal Laredos - to stay true to the look in the 1999 catalog and plan to restore the rest of it to a clean and mostly original state.

Photos below!

Video that shows the same 1999 Phoenix Open logo at the 17 second mark:

1999 Oldsmobile Bravada Phoenix Open Edition Emblem

1999 Oldsmobile Bravada Phoenix Open Edition

1999 Oldsmobile Bravada Phoenix Open Edition pinstripe with logo (faded, had detail)

Last edited by Robinson Mason; 06-08-2019 at 02:35 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 06-08-2019, 09:16 AM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

Welcome to the forum!

What part of Texas you in?

Old 06-08-2019, 02:09 PM

Thanks Cleburne! I'm NW of Houston.

Added some photos since the other thread is not showing up (may be stuck in a moderator approval bucket).

Last edited by Robinson Mason; 06-08-2019 at 02:21 PM.
Old 06-08-2019, 03:31 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

H town, huh? Been down that way a couple times. I'm a little south of Ft Worth.

That's a nice looking truck!

Old 06-09-2019, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by cleburne red
H town, huh? Been down that way a couple times. I'm a little south of Ft Worth.

That's a nice looking truck!
Thanks! I do enjoy it. I go up Carrollton way for work now and again myself.

Old 06-09-2019, 08:55 AM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road

That's a nice bravada! Any differences on the inside? Or did they just slap a sticker and pin stripes on it? Either way, that's kinda a collector's...

Old 06-09-2019, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by DonL
That's a nice bravada! Any differences on the inside? Or did they just slap a sticker and pin stripes on it? Either way, that's kinda a collector's...
Thanks Don yeah it's pretty much just the emblems and pinstripe art, though it's loaded I checked my 1999 brochure and it has nearly all the trimmings you can get optional - Gold Package, Towing Package (did someone need to tow a golf cart?), Steering Wheel Audio, Home Link, Passenger 8 way power seat controls, heated driver and passenger seats (in Arizona? I guess the nights are cold?). Only things missing seem to be the CD changer, OnStar (which said "late availability), and Bose audio.

Maybe it's a good thing I don't have the CD changer though .... Don't want anyone to catch me doing this: