New Member Area Are you new to Blazer Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

New from Ireland Living In TN

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 09:36 PM
seanie vw is on a distinguished road
Default New from Ireland Living In TN

Hello, all just recently moved from Ireland to the USA and bought myself a clean Jimmy with a 4WD problem.!!!! There is lots of info on here so I joined up

Thanks for all the help

Sean

Old 11-20-2017, 09:41 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Welcome to the group! I hope you enjoy your new ride.

What year is it? What motor?

As for your 4wd issue, a common problem that is fortunately relatively easily fixed is to replace the hoses that have rotted over time that supply the vacuum to the HVAC and 4wd actuators. Search for this repair on the forum to get a sense of what you might have to to do. Good Luck!

Old 11-20-2017, 09:56 PM

Its a 2000, 4.3 vortex motor...

Its a lot of firsts for me, first SUV, first automatic, first left hand drive vehicle, first vehicle with a bigger than 2.0L motor.!!!!

I replaced all the vacuum lines the day after I bough it hoping that it was the problem. I have the 4 button switch, NP8, NV236 type transfer case.

Every thread on here seams to be related to the 4WD system in some way with many possible causes of failure, some cheap to fix some quite expensive.!

Old 11-20-2017, 10:12 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by seanie vw
Its a 2000, 4.3 vortex motor...

Its a lot of firsts for me, first SUV, first automatic, first left hand drive vehicle, first vehicle with a bigger than 2.0L motor.!!!!

I replaced all the vacuum lines the day after I bough it hoping that it was the problem. I have the 4 button switch, NP8, NV236 type transfer case.

Every thread on here seams to be related to the 4WD system in some way with many possible causes of failure, some cheap to fix some quite expensive.!
Your vintage Blazer has the easier vacuum lines to fix. It might be worth double checking your connections as they can get backwards. Also be sure to check that the one hose is secured to the vacuum canister mounted into the fender. Did you also replace the one that goes to the actuator that is located under the battery? I used zip-ties as mini hose-clamps to make sure the hoses were sealed to the fittings.

You'll have to post in the proper sub-forum a full description of your symptoms, what you have done, and of course they year and type of 4wd system you have (as you did here).

Have fun with your Blazer. They are very capable. By today's standards they are quite small but I like mine as it tows, goes off-pavement well, and is good in the snow. For that vintage, they had one of the more powerful engines which I definitely needed to pull my sailboat. When you get your first snow, practice driving in it to get a feel of how it performs. I'm sure it will act very differently than your cars in Ireland!

Old 11-20-2017, 10:17 PM

It well, its mmy first rear wheel drive road car as well. Im looking forward to it.!It can be a little tail happy in the wet when you want it to be.
We dont get much snow in Ireland to have some fun in, maybe a day or two in a cold year...

Old 11-20-2017, 10:35 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by seanie vw
It well, its mmy first rear wheel drive road car as well. Im looking forward to it.!It can be a little tail happy in the wet when you want it to be.
We dont get much snow in Ireland to have some fun in, maybe a day or two in a cold year...
Something I learned about driving in really bad snow, I'm talking on snowed-in roads in the mountains, is to use 4wd and put the chains on the FRONT tires, not the back. Also I never use 4lo to get into where I want to go, reserving it for if I get really stuck to help me get out.