New Member Area Are you new to Blazer Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

newbie begining buld

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 03:01 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

welcome to the show.

Originally Posted by civic12sechatch
...........once the body work is complete i will replace the motor with a sbc 350 most likley. prefer ls1 if i can find one cheap! and probably a 700r4 trans for decent highway mpg and top speed! the motor will be built but trans most likley stop out of a buddys uncles junk yard.
so you're gonna do the LS1 swap, nice.

but, you're gonna build up the engine-and put in a junker trans? that just doesn't make much sense.

Old 02-02-2010, 02:22 AM
civic12sechatch is on a distinguished road

thanks for the welcoming every1. im from maryland by the way!
for oldskool luvr : honestly im notreally sure what otor im going with for sure. just know it will be a sbc. my buddy does have a wreked trans am with a good running ls1 im sure i can pretty much steal lol and i dont plan on building it until i get it running and in the blazer. but for the trans ur probably right a stock yard trans is gunna b just to hold me over. i also have to upgrad the rear to and im on a limited budget. its gonna b a slow build and honstley take me over a year tom cpomplete it!!!! but ohwell i need sumthin to look forward to and a new project to build! thanks for the advice tho

Old 02-03-2010, 12:26 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by civic12sechatch
my buddy does have a wreked trans am with a good running ls1 im sure i can pretty much steal lol and i dont plan on building it until i get it running and in the blazer. but for the trans ur probably right a stock yard trans is gunna b just to hold me over. i also have to upgrad the rear to and im on a limited budget........ thanks for the advice tho

if your buddy has the whole car still grab everything you can. engine, trans, wiring, cluster. it'll make it much easier.

that way you don't have to worry about a junker trans to hold you over.

as for the diff, look through your friend's yard for a G80 diff w/rear disc's. if you're gonna up grade, you may as well go all out.

no problem with the advice brother, that's what we're all here for. well that & the ball bustin'!

Old 02-03-2010, 02:10 AM
civic12sechatch is on a distinguished road

oh yeah imma grab the motor harness and everything, i guess i can even use his rear. but by blazers an auto he has a 6spd manual trans and im not sure about a conversion. also will my driveshaft work, i know it wont hold up for long but do i need a longer or shorter 1 or? and with the wiring im not sure if i use my harnes or his. my blazers an 87 so from what ive researched its fuel injected. should i leave it fuel injected or go carb or? idk this s just a very short beginning of my qustion and problems im sure il face. before i really go all out on this build i gotta tag my 4wd 88 so i can daily drive it. i wanna do it soon any way seems like it snows every day up here now lol!!!!

Old 02-03-2010, 10:14 AM
BF Guru

no, the rear won't fit............well, not a direct bolt in anyways. different set-up (leafs vs coils & trailing arms), plus it's a different width. too much cash to make it fit, and making one fit, you'd be smarter to build a custom 10 or 12 bolt. the 12 bolt may be over kill, but you can never have a strong enough diff, IMO. so just do a rear dics swap from a 2nd gen.

as for the drive shaft, why wouldn't it be strong enough? and if you're buddy's TA (or was it a Z, can't remember) has the 6 spd, and you're obviously building this truck up to be a toy, not a work horse, then find a manual trans'd 1st gen (p/u's are the easiest to find) and rip out all the clutch/brake pedal assm-skip the slave cylinder, buy that new (it'll save you a world of head ache in the long run, trust me), and don't forget the switches on it for the brake lights & cruise, and swap it in.

being a 1st gen truck, your project is gonna be soooooo much easier.

regarding your fuel system and the wiring harnesses, start reading up on the two vehicles, and learn what all needs to be swapped out to work. depending on what year the car is, you can get away with doing after market gauges (i know some of the newer vehicles don't like it when you try to swap out the cluster).

and you really don't need to do anything to the engine, there's more than enough in there to roast the skins quite easily.

and remember above all else, take your time & think things through before jumping into action. 'cause it's always a hell of a lot more work to rip it apart again to fix it right the second time. trust me, i've been there before-usually when i'm building something for someone else and they can't make up their mind.

you gonna post a pic of this project truck soon?..............