New Member Area Are you new to Blazer Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Newbie checking in from Long Island, NY

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 03:41 AM
BF Veteran
kiwiblazer is on a distinguished road

Better get the wife to start saving for another ride!
I see a lift, bigger tyres & all sorts happening. Soon you won't be letting her anywhere near it! LOL

Old 10-09-2010, 10:18 PM
Beginning Member
NYC86ZC is on a distinguished road

^^^^ HA I'm trying to keep this one stock. Emphasis on trying. The main concern right now is to address all the issues preventing it from getting on the road. I thought I fixed everything in garage, so i pull it out and wash it. I go to pull it back in the driveway and i hear a clunking sound from the front left area when I give it gas. I'm thinking motor mount. I decide to power brake it just to see if the engine moves and sure enough the whole driver's side part of the engine basically jumped up about 3-4 inches. A few minutes later I was off to advance auto and picked up two new mounts. I guess I won't be watching the giants' game tomorrow.

Any pointers for replacing the mounts?

I've seen a posts here about replacing them so hopefully it won't be too bad. We'll see...

Old 10-09-2010, 10:57 PM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about

Welcome!!!

Old 10-10-2010, 09:53 PM
Beginning Member

'..it shouldn't be too bad.' My famous last words. Oh god replacing the motor mounts has been absolutely horrible. I'm in the process of dropping the front axle to get at it and i hit a snag trying to remove the passenger cv axle. I disconnected the upper balljoint, tie rod end, shock, so all that's left is the the lower ball joint in order to get enough clearance to remove the axle. Of course that lower ball joint does not want to separate.

Old 10-25-2010, 12:58 PM
Beginning Member

So, apparently the front diff doesn't have to be dropped. I had enough wiggle room to get in there and swap out the old mount and new ones.
This job was a royal PITA, but it's sooo much more quiet and better for the driveline with the new ones in there.

This is a list of the rest of the things i've done to it since it's been in my possession(~2 weeks):

I had a VERY annoying banging, clunking sound from the frontend. I assumed it was a worn bushing or something. I looked at the entire frontend and all looked well. Next was to lookup online and that's where i found the small issue with the hood hinge washer. Since swapping in the washers the frontend noises have gone away.

The 4wd was not working either. I traced it down to a bad vacuum solenoid on the FW. For $45 i purchased a new one and swapped it in. Now there's no longer a blinking 4wd light.

No heat. Flushed out the completely clogged heater core. Also I flushed out coolant system twice.

Replaced the rear wiper assembly(bad gear).

Fixed a stuck brake pad with a file.

New serpentine belt. Old one looked original.

Driver window was not working because it apparently came off the rivets and the assembly locked up. After removing and fixing the mechanism i drilled out the rivets and used bolts to secure it.

Fixed hood pop cable. Figured it'd be better than using the vice grips.

Installed the headlights the proper way with the clip so they don't rattle around, which made them point to the ground about 5 feet in front of the truck because the PO was trying to over compensate. So, i also reset the height to point a little farther out.

New pins and bushings in both front doors. They were sagging like my grandma's.....

New battery(old one held a charge for 2 days and also only had 550CCA).

Oil change, filter, top off wiper fluid, degreased frontend, greased up the grease fittings.

Fixed flat tire. It was screwed.

I think that about covers everything. Only minor issue is last night the power locks decided they don't want to work. Hopefully it's just a fuse.

The only major issue i still have with it is there's a bunch of slop in the steering wheel. Unfortunately i'm not too familiar with these frontends so i may have to take in someplace for them to look at.

Last edited by NYC86ZC; 10-25-2010 at 01:37 PM. Reason: added info
Old 10-26-2010, 08:41 PM
theramb99 is on a distinguished road

Hello and welcome I'm new too!! from NY. 87 Blaze 4" lift, 35" Mud Terrains, Fresh 350fi, 350 trans w'shift kit, 3" exhaust Flowmaster Super 44s.

Old 10-27-2010, 07:52 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by theramb99
Hello and welcome I'm new too!! from NY. 87 Blaze 4" lift, 35" Mud Terrains, Fresh 350fi, 350 trans w'shift kit, 3" exhaust Flowmaster Super 44s.
I wish i had a 350 in mine, so i dont have to deal with the 4.3 vortec issues....

I ordered my felpro lower intake manifold gasket kit and will be installing it this Saturday due to some coolant leaks.