New Member Area Are you new to Blazer Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Soon to be Blazer owner from Utah (need advice)

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 02:24 AM
GP1
GP1 is on a distinguished road
Default Soon to be Blazer owner from Utah (need advice)

What's up guys.. Hopefully I'll be posting here a lot more soon!

I stumbled onto this forum and thought this would be a great place to ask a couple questions I've been wondering about..

I'm most likely buying a 2001 2-Door Blazer LS 4WD from my friend this upcoming Friday. He's selling it to me for 2,000, so I don't want to pass up the opportunity. I've driven it a couple times and everything seems fine, and I trust him enough that he wouldn't sell me a car full of problems.

Although their are a couple minor things I want to ask y'all about. The alignment is a little off, how much would it cost to fix that? The hood won't close all the way sometimes. It won't pop up driving or anything, but when you go to close it all the way it pops back up a little. & lastly, the driver side window won't work sometimes. Half the time it rolls down, the other half it won't. But the passenger side is fine.

How much would it cost to fix those things? And is any of it bad enough that I should consider not buying it?

It has 148,000 miles.

Thanks guys!!

Old 03-18-2012, 09:07 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by GP1
What's up guys.. Hopefully I'll be posting here a lot more soon!
I can pretty much guarantee it

I stumbled onto this forum and thought this would be a great place to ask a couple questions I've been wondering about..

I'm most likely buying a 2001 2-Door Blazer LS 4WD from my friend this upcoming Friday. He's selling it to me for 2,000, so I don't want to pass up the opportunity. I've driven it a couple times and everything seems fine, and I trust him enough that he wouldn't sell me a car full of problems.
I'm sort of at a loss for words..
How much would it cost to fix those things? And is any of it bad enough that I should consider not buying it?

It has 148,000 miles.
To GP1
I bought a 99 Bravada last May for 3000. I'd do it again.
I know cars pretty well, but I took her to a Master Mechanic I know with a successful 6 bay shop and had him check it out, Are you going to do that?

Those problems are fairly easily fixed. Really minor. Well.. except the alignment.. that could turn into a can of worms.

Do you really LIKE Blazers? Do you like to work on cars? Can you afford a $200 a month car payment? For the 3000 price, we budgeted 6000 for total first year costs.
__________________________________________________ __________________

Alright guys. I'm subscribing to this thread. Here's your chance.
Especially that idiot Frienddontletfriendsdrivefords.. who you never see around here anymore
What advice you got for this guy?

Last edited by pettyfog; 03-18-2012 at 09:20 AM.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:45 AM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

Welcome to forum & I aggree with pettyfog about the guarantee lol.

For $2000 I'd pick it up & like he said get it checked out.
A front end alignment shouldn't run you more than $70 give or take. That's IF everything is OK upfront. If not parts & labor will cost a lot more depending what needs to be replaced before the alignment. Think $400 - $1000 if control arms, ball joints, bushings, front hub assemblies etc.

I should just have said I agree with everything he said lol - it all sounds like minor work & is a good deal but get it checked out & hopefully you're the typw that can turn a wrench.

I'm sort of at a loss for words..
LOL I highly doubt that, more like you're being polite!

Old 03-18-2012, 01:21 PM
GP1

I forgot to mention it doesn't have the spare tire rack on the back because he removed it. Is their anywhere that sells those to put it back on?

Thanks for the help BTW.

Old 03-18-2012, 07:56 PM
GP1

Thanks guys! I also forgot the mention he took off the spare tire rack off the back. Is their anywhere to buy one? Or are they not worth it?

Old 03-18-2012, 09:42 PM
BF Veteran
DKSDAD is a jewel in the roughDKSDAD is a jewel in the roughDKSDAD is a jewel in the rough

Friend or not get it checked out, if he complains too bad. Better he is mad about getting it checked then to hear you complain when something goes wrong.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:34 PM
Starting Member
bigbadblazer91 is on a distinguished road

hi from Ontario,
i've been warned by a mechanic friend that the little Blazer/Jimmy(s) are money pits, so you gotta ask yourself, do ya feel lucky? well, do ya? lol ,,, a little Clint talk there, anyway, i'm biased towards the big Blazers, good luck!

Old 03-21-2012, 01:31 AM
GP1

Got it today! LOVING it!