New Member Area Are you new to Blazer Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

soon to convert 97 2dr 4x4 jimmy

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 04:02 AM
newby is on a distinguished road
Default soon to convert 97 2dr 4x4 jimmy

hows everyone? I recently became an owner of a 97 2dr 4wd gmc jimmy.have been

planning on a high performance build of a blazer for sometime now. a lot of research on

part compatibility and what I want. My wish is to convert the standby 4wd system to awd

and lower a few inches. build and install a lq4 gen 3 lsx(preferably the 6.0 with low comp)

mated to a 4l80e or 85e. single turbo is in the plans as well. other than wheels and brake

work, everything else would be cosmetic. I wont get started until after the winter season.

for now the truck runs and shifts pretty good. bought it for $500, though it does need some

work. mostly cosmetic . I do know that the rear seal needs replacing due to gear oil leaking

into the rear right brake. also some banging noise upfront, i believe is ball joints. as for the

rear, instead of repair, I am looking to upgrade it entirely in preparation for future mods.

Read some things on the 8.8 ford rear ends with disc and posi traction. will this with 3.73's

be strong enough to handle the torque of a turbocharged ls power plant? all work will be

done by me. in case your wondering, I love the typhoon but wont by one due to price,

condition and limitation of parts. average price of a running not too bad ty is about 10

grand. plus whatever money invested to get it right for daily driving and occasional track

duty. I feel I can build up a second gen to equal and/or outperform the ty. engine and

tranny controls will be handle through stock 2ooo pcm which is the only year the tranny

controller came built into the engine controller making it 1 unit. hptuner will be the system I

use for tuning purposes of both the engine and trans.to confirm, I know the the ty gearing

is 3.42. in order to keep the borgwarner Tcase in one piece, both the front and back diffs

should match 3.73 for each and equal size wheel and tires. is this correct? back to the rear

end, from an explorer, is this a plug and play , or what work is needed to fit? front drive diff

can be purchased or had form what? maybe i will start a blog on this.

Old 11-26-2009, 05:47 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Welcome to the forum from Canada!
First off, there is no need to add a space in between every line of text. It makes it hard to read lol. Secondly, please review the rules of the forum and post any tech related questions or problems in the appropriate board. This board is for introductions only.

Old 11-26-2009, 10:16 AM
Starting Member
chiefum is on a distinguished road

Welcome.

Old 11-26-2009, 10:42 AM
Starting Member
DaveC is on a distinguished road

welcome, and good luck on your build it sounds very interesting i have a friend who has a syclone and it really moves I am very interested in seeing how this turns out.

Old 11-26-2009, 12:19 PM
newby is on a distinguished road

sorry about the spaces. Dont know how that happened. Thought I would try to sneak a few questions in there

Old 11-26-2009, 11:02 PM
foxxie is on a distinguished road

Welcome! from down under.
Dito on the build, do you have any pics?

Old 11-27-2009, 01:25 AM
okvortec is on a distinguished road

Welcome, sounds like some big plans!