New Member Area Are you new to Blazer Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Thinking of Joining Team Blazer

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 04:16 PM
Chunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Thinking of Joining Team Blazer

Hello everyone.
So I'm thinking of buying a 2000 Blazer LZ 4X4 from my mother.
76,000 miles, well maintained.
I suspect it needs balljoints, idler arm, and definitely some new tires.

I'll be doing a lot of reading to see what I need to be aware of before I decide to keep the Blazer for myself.

Basically, I've pretty much been looking for a used GM 4WD vehicle to replace my gen 1 Ford Ranger, and this opportunity sort of just came up when my father passed away earlier this month.

Anything I should be aware of before I commit myself emotionally to this thing?
I already hate the color (Burgundy), and I prefer leather to the cloth seats in the LS (I'm a Cadillac guy at heart.)

Basically I'm looking for a good daily driver that won't need much work, is reliable, and I can take on road trips without worry, and will do well in the winter. Am I crazy for thinking a 2000 Blazer will fit these set of needs?
I've never owned an SUV either, and am not quite sure I'm going to like the cornering/handling characteristics too much.

I'm going to "borrow" it for a bit and see if I want to buy it for myself, or help sell it to someone else. Heck, while I'm at it, anyone care to offer a fair value for this - factoring in that it will likely need front suspension work?

Thanks for having me here. I look forward to checking this forum out.
Chunk

Old 04-20-2008, 04:37 PM
cliro is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Thinking of Joining Team Blazer

welcome to the forum.

blazers and jimmys are fairly reliable vehicles, they have thier quirks but what vehicle doesnt

Old 04-20-2008, 05:49 PM
MaSmith is an unknown quantity at this point

At least you know the history on the Blazer, with it being your parents and all. They are very good handling in the snow. I drove a 87 jimmy for 16 years, and loved it.
Now I have a 99 zr2 blazer.

I think you will enjoy it.

Old 04-20-2008, 06:17 PM
Starting Member
firemansc32 is an unknown quantity at this point

Welcome. You're not crazy for thinking it will be a good daily drive, and do well in the winter. Road trips should be a problem either just don't expect incredible mpgs out of it. It is a 4x4 blazer after all. As for the handling if you drive it like a sports car you will get into trouble then. The color you can either live with it or not but thats up to you. I do like cloth seats better than leather because I would completely trash leather seats. Plus there shouldn't be any real surprizes with it that you don't already know about.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 04-20-2008, 06:33 PM
Chunk is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah, knowing the complete history is key to this.
I KNOW the oil was changed every 3k miles. I KNOW it wasn't abused at all.
I know it does well in the snow. I guess my biggest concern is at its present age, 8 years and 80,00 miles, is this the time in its life when I'm going to have to start replacing things that can lead to big money.

My currently daily driver is an 87 Cadillac Eldorado that I got cheap cheap from a friend who inherited it from his grandfather (65,000 miles). More than $4000 later invested in it, I had to start using it as the daily driver, just to get SOMETHING out of it since the book value is crap...I can't come close to getting out of it what I've put into it if I tried to sell it. Sweet car though...still need to fix the A/C (Just got new wheels for it too, now I have to buy new tires and put even more money at it.

As for mpg, I'm only getting about 14 mpg in the Cadillac, so I can't imagine the Blazer would be any worse, although I was getting about 17-21mpg in the Ranger depending on how much fun I was having while driving.

Anyway, I'll drive it some this week and see how I like it. I love the size, it's pretty small compared to most of the monstrous SUV's that seem to be around (like the newer Trailblazer), it's big on passenger space. I'll see how it works as a truck. I don't want a station wagon. I kinda think of it as an S-10 with a cap on the back, so I'll see what I can fit in the back.

I just noticed the seat recliner lever in the back door pocket (broke off). Need to look into fixing that.
Mostly, though, going to evaluate the suspension and drivetrain to see how good of shape they are in.

Old 04-20-2008, 07:54 PM
Blazer Forum 2009 Ride of the Year Winner
nj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura aboutnj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura about

Welcome

Old 04-21-2008, 01:25 AM
BF Veteran
user 1016 has a spectacular aura aboutuser 1016 has a spectacular aura about

I've put on about 80,000 miles on mine....(on top of the 50,000) Still going strong....Welcome!!

Old 04-21-2008, 01:41 AM
BF Veteran
kiwiblazer is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the forum from New Zealand.

I bought my Blazer in November ex Japan & despite a few problems here & there it is a great truck. I'm sure you'll enjoy it as I am.

Old 04-21-2008, 07:30 AM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the forum, glad to have you!!!

Old 04-21-2008, 05:53 PM
972DRBLAZER is an unknown quantity at this point

welcome

Quick Reply: Thinking of Joining Team Blazer