Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos (https://blazerforum.com/forum/nitrous-super-chargers-turbos-11/)
-   -   98 Jimmy Turbo using Typhoon parts: (https://blazerforum.com/forum/nitrous-super-chargers-turbos-11/98-jimmy-turbo-using-typhoon-parts-13610/)

UR50SLO 10-12-2007 06:27 AM

98 Jimmy Turbo using Typhoon parts:

Thought I'd give you guys a peek at how stock Typhoon/Syclone parts fit on the newer Blazers/Jimmys.
I upgraded the Turbo on my wife's 92 Typhoon and made my own downpipe.
I purchased a used set of Typhoon exhaust Mflds and made a plan to turbo her
winter driver (98 Jimmy 4dr 4x4)

The stock Typhoon manifolds bolt right up, So does the stock Typhoon downpipe and it welds right up to your stock exhaust!!!!
You need to grind the Power Steering stud down to nothing on the drivers side.
The front axel(diff) needs to be pulled to remove the oil pan and put a return line fitting in. Adding the coolant feed/returns to/from the turbo as well.
The IC is a cheapy from E-bay I got for free. (Traded work)
The MAF is on the non pressure side.
The Battery needs to be dropped down 4-5" same spot. just down.
Here are some pictures. I have not painted any of the pipes or made it pretty yet.
This is our winter truck.
Anyway.. it's about a solid 3day job with all the materials being chased down.
I had about a week of tinkering with it on and off.
I'll be using HP Tuners sofware to edit the stock ECM. If the Crappy Spider Injectors won't push enough fuel I'll add a 7th injector or Alky to make up the difference.
It'll be limited to aournd the 10-13psi if I had to guess.
Not trying to make a racer out of it.. just make it more fun to drive for the winter for my wife. She'll go into Typhoon withdrawel with out somthing!
Hope this helps someone thinking of making more with out spending a load!
~Scott
http://www.michaelrenz.com/upload/files/98ICooler.JPG
http://www.michaelrenz.com/upload/fi...mmyICpipes.JPG
http://www.michaelrenz.com/upload/fi...myPSICpipe.JPG

I'd finish it like my Hybrid Camaro with a Buick 3.8 but this Jimmy is just a beater.
~Scott
http://www.michaelrenz.com/upload/files/Camaro11(1).JPG
The wife's Typhoon:
http://lh3.google.com/epixpc/RwAfpNa...0/DSC_0458.JPG

thegr81 10-12-2007 08:00 AM

RE: 98 Jimmy Turbo using Typhoon parts:

thats awesome you have anymore pics i know of were i can get that stuff to do that i have a 2wd 2door with the 4.3 vortec i would like to do that is a programmer necessary when doing this mod?

UR50SLO 10-12-2007 09:18 AM

The ECM is going to need to be calibrated for fuel and timing for sure. The truck is drivable with no problems with low boost and part throttle. I won't be doing any WOT till I get the HP Tuner software. It's around 700.00. I can tune or send re-flashes once I get the software for about 200.00.

The ECM just won't be programmed for boost. It's setup for 14.7-15.2AFR at almost all times. That's too lean for boost. I'm sure the timing is too agressive for a boosted as well. That's the first places I'll be tuning. There's alot of other places I'll make changes once I have the program.

Tuning is key to any boosted vehicle. Don't neglet this part or you'll be putting a engine in it very soon after!!!!
I can take pictures of anything you need.
~Scott

thegr81 10-13-2007 08:40 PM

do you have any pics of how all the lines are ran for like oil to the turbo and the piping for the turbo and intercooler the pics you have are great just wanted a lil more in depth if you know what i mean

UR50SLO 10-14-2007 07:13 AM

Sure.. send me a e-mail at UR50SLO at aol

I'll send you all the info and all the pictures I've got so you have them.

If you need me to take any more pictures I'd be glad to.
~Scott

thegr81 10-14-2007 07:53 AM

cool thanks i will when i get off work were i work all the email sites like aol,yahoo,msn are all restricted.

blizazer 01-30-2008 09:41 PM

Looks sweet. Where did you hide the coolant tank?

UR50SLO 02-13-2008 10:52 AM

Just a update for you guys.

The spider injector and factory manifold would support 5-7psi of boost no problem with using HPTuners to adjust WOT fuel. If you plan on going much more than that you'll need to purchase a Marine (boat) MPFI Manifold. There about 450.00 on E-bay. Comes complete with external fuel rail/injectors,lower intake/upper plenum and injectors. The injectors are too small but you can put in what ever size you want at that point.

I've had great luck with HPTuners. We are at 10psi of boost with 33lb/hr injectors. Runs strong guys!
6000mi boosted now :)
Wife drives it daily...
Hope that helps,
Scott

UR50SLO 02-13-2008 10:54 AM

Oh.. the coolant tank... Lol... I had a left over one from a 2006 Surb. WRX STI that I stuck on the drivers side of the radiator and ran a line over to it. That was the easy part ;)
~Scott

swartlkk 02-13-2008 11:20 AM

How did you run all of the EVAP and other vacuum powered accessories (brake booster, PCV valve, transfer case switch, etc)?

For those of you wondering, here is a Mercury 4.3L Intake Manifold on eBay. But again, this manifold is missing provisions for the EVAP purge solenoid, brake booster, and PCV valve.

94blueknight 02-13-2008 01:30 PM

wow dude thats a sweet mod. i was thinkin of doin it to my 1st gen. where did u get the turbo and other parts and bout how much? do u think it would bolt up easier to a 1st gen bein as the typhoon is basically a turbo 1st gen? and i like the hood on ur wife's typhoon where did u get it?

riceh8r0512 02-13-2008 02:00 PM

Besides the missing EVAP and other vaccum stuff that Kyle mentioned, does that marine manifold bolt right up, i.e wire connections and such? Just a curiosity.

BTW, nice job with the turbo, I wish I could have the time/money to do something like that to pep mine up some more.

UR50SLO 02-14-2008 09:04 AM

The Evap line is just sitting at the moment. I could just put it to manifold vaccume since it only comes on when the ECM calls for it.
At the back of the Marine intake manifold I put a 3/8 fitting so I could hook that up to my brake booster. The PCV go's to Manifold vaccume as well. (port on top of Marine intake)
I deleted the EGR all together. There is a port for it but you'd have to do some rigging with the valve it's self since there's no casting for it to "bolt up" to the Marine intake.

The wire connector that go's onto the top of the plastic intake now and powers up your 6 small injectors for the poppet valves needs to be cut one by one and solderd onto indiviual clips for the external injectors. (12) Wires all together. No biggie. 6 Injector clips you can get from a junk yard for 10.00 and your set. I've got the injector schematic here. Peice of cake.

You can bolt up Sy/Ty Manifolds to any 4.3L. You can buy them used off SyTy.org or on e-bay when they show up. I bought another set for a buddy for 400.00.... That was Turbo,manifolds,downpipe,inlet pipe. The intercooler is a cheapy off e-bay also.125ish.
HPTuners is the software for OBD2.
I would not reccomend using boost with a TBI setup. It's been done but the system is not very forgiving as it's a MAP baised system. You'd be better to get the entire Sy/Ty package if you've got a very old 4.3L with TBI.
Glad to help anyone into boost :)

The hood you can get on-line do a google search on blazer hoods. I got mine from a guy on e-bay for 300.00 when he was selling his Typhoon and had extra parts.
Hope that helps,
Scott~

swartlkk 02-14-2008 09:36 AM

I guess for the evap and other vacuum powered devices, it all depends on how much time you spend in boost and if you get back to normal vacuum levels once you are just cruising along. I suppose you would. I don't have much experience with turbo'd gasoline engines, more diesel experience when it comes to turbos, but I do have quite a bit with supercharged apps on gas engines. Most all of the vacuum stuff is taken off of the non-pressurized side of the supercharger to keep constant vacuum to all of the accessories that utilize it.

But if you aren't having any difficulties with the HVAC, brake booster, or other items that use engine vacuum, then everything should be working good. I was just wondering.

94blueknight 02-14-2008 09:36 AM

aight sweet thanks for all the info! ya i had been thinking of when my engine goes or gets high up in miles to go find a totalled Sy/Ty and rip the engine out and drop it in since everything should pretty much bolt right up besides a few things cuz of the turbo of course. and i've got a 94 w/ CPI.

94blueknight 02-14-2008 09:40 AM

hey swartlkk u said u know a lot about supercharges well would a supercharger be a good idea on the 4.3L or wouldnt u get much power out of it? also how would it compare to a turbo? ik a turbo builds up boost where superchager has constant boost.

swartlkk 02-14-2008 09:50 AM

You would always get power out of an engine by either form of forced induction. Problem with a supercharger is finding one that is as economical as doing a turbo if you have fabrication skills. #1 issue is that no one makes a roots type supercharger for the 4.3L. While it is possible to have a lower intake manifold made up to mount an M90 or other roots type S/C to the engine, you would then have to work through the fuel system changes, computer changes, etc. Centrifugal S/C are made, but are $$$.

A turbo is the best option for the 4.3L if you have some fab skills or know someone that does.

94blueknight 02-14-2008 12:01 PM

ok cuz ya i've never heard of a supercharger for the 4.3 so i was just curious. but ya thats a lot of work so its just easier goin w/ a turbo then. I'm pretty good at fabin up my own stuff (goin for mechanical engineering helps) so do they have a turbo (besidesone out of theSy/Ty)that u can buy and "bolt" on to the 4.3 or do u have to buy a general turbo and fab up ur own stuff to mount it?

mdehoogh 02-14-2008 12:46 PM

you dont need to have a specific turbocharger. there are several different sizes out there. i dont know a whole lot about what all needs to be done to install a turbo but 02Vortech has a rearmount turbo on his truck and The Brettster is in the process of installing one on his truck.

94blueknight 02-14-2008 12:57 PM

ok thanks! i'll look into it

mdehoogh 02-14-2008 04:48 PM

http://02vortec.tripod.com/

^^^that's 02 Vortech's build thread in case you havent seen it

94blueknight 02-14-2008 10:52 PM

never really saw the build up but i've seen his blazer b4 either on this forum or a diff one. love how it says rice killer lol

TheBrettster 02-15-2008 02:24 AM

I have most of the parts its just im low on funds to finish it. Its not a cheap project.

UR50SLO 02-26-2008 05:07 PM

http://s-seriesforum.com/forum/images/smilies/ffc.gif
Anyhow.. here's the pic's from today. Love the Marine intake baby!
I Epoxy'd the steel upper to the allum. throttle body.. has not moved since I put it on there 6000mi ago. I painted all the pipes... cleaned up some of the wireing and put a second thin O-ring on the injectors to seal them up. If you use a newer thin injector it should not be a problem.. they just put big holes in these Marine intakes.
Getting closer on the Final tune. HPTuners is the way to go with these guys... No kidding. 10PSI here with No issues. No knock Doing great.

http://www.michaelrenz.com/upload/fi...rineIntake.JPG

http://www.michaelrenz.com/upload/fi...urboJimmy1.JPG

http://www.michaelrenz.com/upload/fi...urboJimmy2.JPG

http://www.michaelrenz.com/upload/fi...intedpipes.JPG

The drivers side pipe is close to the hood insulator so it rubs a bit... but it's a beater right?
1986 GN Powered Camaro
1998 Jimmy with Stock Typhoon Turbo,DP,Headers! Wife's winter beater!
Who says boys have the toys?
Not at my House!
Life has no meaning with out boost!

drperry 02-26-2008 06:29 PM

More pics + how to are now required :D

Rear mount turbo isn't really an option for me, since I play in the mud... and I'm pretty sure that it wouldn't be very happy being body panel deep in the mud :D

94blueknight 02-26-2008 11:09 PM

ORIGINAL: drperry

More pics + how to are now required :D

Rear mount turbo isn't really an option for me, since I play in the mud... and I'm pretty sure that it wouldn't be very happy being body panel deep in the mud :D
agreed!!! how to would be very helpful!!!!!!!!

UR50SLO 02-27-2008 08:43 AM

It's fairly labor intensive.. but the parts shouln't cost that much.

Never Ever buy a FMU to fuel one of these engines. I'm not going to rant on about that but a FMU should never be used to fuel a engine PERIOD. I'd put a piggy back system on before I'd use one of those steaming piles. Ok.. rant finished.:eek:

You'll need:
Sy/Ty stock exhaust Manifolds
Stock Sy/Ty style turbo/downpipe
Marine Intake Manifold (e-bay) 400.00 ish.
30lb/hr injectors or larger.
HPTuners. I have a file setup for 10psi
Some 2.5" mandrel bends (steel)
E-bay Intercooler
Moroso 2-part epoxy to affix a bonnet to the Throttle body. Or have a flange welded on ... A guy on another site said that a LS1 throttle body is the same size but has a nice long snout on it that you could attatch a bonnet to with out welding! You'd need to transfer the shaft from the 4.3L to keep the same throttle apendages.
Cut/weld pipes so it's arranged in a flowing fashon.. like mine or not..up to you.
You'll need to plum the oil feed off the drivers side oil pressure feed line (above oil filter housing) You'll need 5feet of -4 AN hose and fittings.
There's a fitting you can put where your oil level sensor is for the oil return.
(Guy's with 3.8L F-bodys do it with no problems) I've not tried it yet. I put mine in the hard way... took off pan.. ect.
Coolant feed to-turbo/from turbo.
Relocate MAF Pre-turbo.
Put IAT sensor into incoming pipe (after turbo/IC)
Tuning.... Tuning... That's what is going to make or break these setups.
If it's not tuned right or skimp on fueling it correctly/timing/settings you'll be looking at a yard orniment with a blown engine. 4.3L don't take detonation well. It wipes the mains right out of them.
3.8L buicks are more forgiving and just blow head gaskets. We've got too much clamping force on our 4.3L head to blow them out.
I've got a entire set of pictures I can send you if you contact my e-mail.
Hope that helps,:D
Scott~
UR50SLO@aol.com

Psychropod 02-27-2008 10:03 AM

Scott,

You should just create an album right here. That way you don't have to worry about answering email requests for pix. Just a thought.

UR50SLO 02-27-2008 12:40 PM

Umm... never done that... Guess I'll have to spend some time learning.. I don't mind answering e-mails...everyone has a different question and normaly needs to be answered differently.
I'll look into it.
Thanks, Scott~

drperry 02-27-2008 04:02 PM

Anybodyknow what the stock fuel injectors flow rate is? :D

UR50SLO 02-27-2008 04:04 PM

The stock Injector flow rate for the 4.3L spider injectors and the V8 Engines are 23.1LB/HR.

drperry 02-27-2008 04:18 PM

I don't have a spider...

UR50SLO 02-27-2008 04:31 PM

What year are we talking about? Old TBI stuff or newer Vortec Blazer/Jimmy? All the newer Vortec Injectors are 23.1lb/hr I call it a spider injector.. Might be a slang term your not usto.
~Scott

drperry 02-27-2008 04:41 PM

Could be, lol, it's a 2005.

You should check out http://photobucket.com/for making a dedicated album, so the pics don't go down...

Or use the forums built in image hosting for it, so the pics are always there :D

swartlkk 02-27-2008 05:10 PM

ORIGINAL: UR50SLO

What year are we talking about? Old TBI stuff or newer Vortec Blazer/Jimmy? All the newer Vortec Injectors are 23.1lb/hr I call it a spider injector.. Might be a slang term your not usto.
~Scott
You've also got the MFI spiders in the mid-'02+ that are something like 18-20lb/hr. They are lower static flow rate than the injector/poppet nozzle setup used in the '96 thru mid-'02 SCFI motors.

ORIGINAL: drperry

I don't have a spider...
Yes you do!

drperry 02-27-2008 05:19 PM

I stand corrected :D

It just didn't show up in the GM Parts Direct catalogue, lol.

UR50SLO 02-27-2008 05:51 PM

Ours is a 98 and in the ECM perameters they are labled 23.1 Lb/hr.

I've not scanned anything newer than our 98. I'll soon be doing the same turbo conversion on a 01 Blazer for a friend of mine.

If they went even smaller than the 23.1's Eesh... The entire fuel system design sucks.
Did you know you can put a Buick GN (Grand National 255lr/hr pump) in our sending unit's? they are only 99.00 and since it's a Warbro pump it'll be the last on you put in.
I put one in our tank when I turbo'd it. I've got my buddy's here now. Alot cheaper than a autozone/advance pump and it'll be the last time you pull the tank out.
~Scott

swartlkk 02-27-2008 06:26 PM

Yeah, the MFI spiders are even lower. But you won't have to contend with that unless it's an '02+ and not all '02s got the MFI spider. Bad part is you have to pull the plenun on the '02s to find out... If you see wires going to the end of the nylon lines, its an MFI spider. Since you will already be upgrading to the Marine intake, sell the spider to someone else. It is a good update for the often problematic poppet nozzle setup.

Now, did you happen to get any pics of the fuel pump disassembled from the sender on your '98? I thought the plastic senders were pretty well sealed up...

*EDIT* - I am watching "How It's Made" on Discovery right now. They just put together a fuel pump assembly. I knew how the pump worked (I am a hydraulic designer after all), but I had never taken one apart before. Kinda neat to see how they go together and I can see exactly how the fail. It was an older style metal sending unit, not like the plastic ones the newer s-series trucks have.

UR50SLO 02-27-2008 06:46 PM

I'll take pictures in the morning of old/new and a description of "how-to"
It's a streight forward swap. Pump is same basic size.
I'll make a documentary in the AM...

I love all the Discovery shows! Good info.. I've not seen the pump one yet..too bad I'm at my shop in the booth painting parts [X(]
In the AM fellas.
~Scott

drperry 02-28-2008 04:24 AM

Out of curiosity, how would plugging the return line on the fuel system hurt the pump?

The Wynnjammer (sp?) supercharger kit does that to raise the fuel pressure up...