Off Roading Got a story about taking your Blazer off the paved roads? This is your section!

2001ZR2 2019 Moab trip

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2019, 01:16 PM
2001ZR2 is on a distinguished road
Default 2001ZR2 2019 Moab trip

I did promise pics and the story before I left in May so this thread is overdue. I hope you'll give me some slack as life happened and it took some time to come back to this.

I will address the Elephant in the thread. I flat out didn't want to think about this trip because 3 days in my father passed away unexpectedly. Because of cell phone reception I didn't know and while I could be there for him my sons were and I am grateful for that.

Prior to leaving i.e. the night before I was able to finish the tow hook to receiver tube and shackle swap

We left the Friday morning before labor to meet up with friends in Golden and were going to pick one person at the airport outside Denver. The first to songs on the radio was AC/DC "Highway to Hell" and then REO Speedwagon "Ridning the Storm Out"

Life had other plans I received a call that my father was being sent to the hospital but he said don't blanking turn around.

So we drove on making good time. Stopped in Colby Kansas to grab lunch and few supplies for camping including a case of bottled water which would be important in about 15 minutes.

We got back on I-70 as we were going from Kansas City to Golden. We got up to speed and it sounded like a piece of debris from the road hit the underside if the front of the truck. Two minutes later I am seeing water hit the windshield on the drivers side so I start to pull over and the temp begins rising fast.

I quickly find my radiator is leaking at the bottom by the driver side further examination finds my lower fan shroud about 2/3 gone and one of my fan blades missing. i wait for the engine to cool enough to open it to add several bottles of water.

We begin to drive towards Goodland, Kansas on the should at 45 mph and call the O'Reilly auto parts there. They have a fan and radiator in stock. Yes!!! My bride is now in an unofficial episode of Roadkill.

After 4 stops and the entire case of water we cover the remaining distance to Colby. My wife first takes us to the Napa store then we head to O'Reilly.

After a 2 hour radiator swap and finding out that the cooling system take 12 quarts not 8 like I miss remembered we were back on the road. Text messages were sent and our friend was picked up at the airport.

I spent the remaining trip deciding to replace the mechanical fan with an electric one. I had a fan blade break last year in the mountains but was able to drive it hone. It missed the radiator that time.

We arrive about 3 hours late but otherwise in good shape.

The next morning we get a late start due to some last minute upgrades to my friends 97 Landcruiser.. He need to adapt the wiring to install the 12v refrigerator where he wanted it.

So our little caravan of a surplus British Army of the Rhine 110 Land Rover, 1997 Landcruiser which is supercharged and lifted, and my stock 2001 ZR2.

Crossing the Continental Divide had stunning views of the snow covered Mountains. The rest stop outside Vail the rest area still had deep snow. Charging up those passes was easy on a warm sunny Saturday. No issues just dropped the trans into 3 from overdive. The engine was hunting for a sweet spot and would go from 3500 rpm down to 1800 rpm and back. I liked it better at about 3200 rpm.

We reach Moab about an hour before dusk as we took a scenic route. We have discovered there is a diesel leak by the injector pump on the rover. It's not bad and we find a loose line which we tighten.

We find a place to camp and have a great evening with good food and drink with friends. I had called to check on my Dad as I know when we went to basin over Elephant Hill there would be no cell reception. He was doing much better and they were getting ready to move him to a normal room. I was talking to his nurse and I heard him say in the background that he was fine and we should go. I told the nurse to tell him I loved him and I would see him when we got back the following weekend. That would be the last time I would ever speak to him or hear his voice.

One interesting thing was we saw a string of 5-6 or satellites in the clear sky. Those were the satellites that Elon Musk launched for his better internet service.

The next morning was a clear beautiful Sunday morning so we headed into Canyon Lands National park.

We got late start we discovered a Carabiner piece embedded in read drivers side tire of John's '97 LandCruiser. A 30 minute tire change as the ground was soft and better to work carefully than to play NASCAR pit crew. Also took some digging and two jacks to change one tire. Not something you see on pit road at the track. So now three days an each vehicle needed attention. From some reason at the time it didn't seem like a big deal but typing now I have a different perspective. It's really Roadkill without the sponsors and we were prepared.

We checked in at the ranger station and paid for our campsite and week long passes. We got late start we discovered a Carabiner piece embedded in read drivers side tire of John's '97 LandCruiser. A 30 minute tire change as the ground was soft and better to work carefully than to play NASCAR pit crew. Also took some digging and two jacks to change one tire. Not something you see on pit road at the track.

We headed to the trail head/parking lot for Elephant Hill. Out destination was Devils Kitchen campsite #4

Outside the parking lot we pulled over and aired down. I aired down to about 17 psig. I though 20 pisg was too much and 15 psig would be too low.

We pull up the start of the trail going over Elephant Hill. We check in the Volunteer Rangers.

They check to see if you have a permit and space people out with no more than 3 vehicles in a group.

I wasn't told this but my friend Mike in his Rover was talking to her and see asked about the guy in the Blazer. She asked about if I had done anything like this before. Mike said we'd be okay. The last thing she said to him was "Hey remember Nations Towing for when you have problems." It took a couple of beers at the campsite before he told me this.

The truck was fine going up to the top of Elephant hill as I had good spotters but my wife decided I could die driving while she walked on the trickier bits. Mike was impressed when I went into a decline and the lower valence flexed in it popper right back out. My wife needed a shot of Fireball and beer after the first decline and walked on the steeper parts either up or down.

Here are some pictures:

We moved slow as I was learning and changing a broken axle would have been on the trail. We were passed by a group of lifter jeeps including a Right hand drive one. They were all set up for more difficult trails so we let them by us but spent time talking to them.

We would see them again. We we reached our campsite they had pulled in and decided to eat lunch there. DK 4 is a hidden mini canyon with an awesome overhang. Truly an amazing campsite.

We should the Jeep folks our permit and asked that dine elsewhere. We set up our campsite and had a nice lunch. We explored the area and sat out in the sun enjoying the views. Sorry not a picture guy but trust me it's beautiful.

That night I left the rain fly off our tent as we were in the spot under the overhang. Our friends needed their rain flys as thunderstorm rolled through that night. I suspect one them is a rain god as were are in the desert and it rained at least once the next three days.

The next morning we had sunny skies and found the Rover had a torn injector pump diaphragm. Not much we could do there so we set out our 8 mile hike on a trail that loops thru some amazing slot canyons and over a couple of bluffs. At one trail intersection we ran into the Volunteer ranger and her husband.I think they were surprised to see us as 2nd Blazers are rare there and she probably doesn't know what a ZR2 is.

We were working our way back to the campsite when the rain started again. Just enough to cool things off and make the rocks slick. My wife was struggling with the trail as her knee was bothering her. She had surgery on it the previous February. I sent the other couples ahead and they had a charcoutrie board out with beers for us when we arrived.about a hour later.

We had a storm come thru that was so intense it dropped the temperature so you could see your breath. We prepared for warm days and cool nights so our preparation was put to the test. We hung out below the overhang until the .storm passed. Warmer because we were dry.

The next day we had a partly sunny sky and headed out from Devil's Kitchen 4 to a campsite on Land Bureau land that overlooks the Canyon Land park.

We had to take the county road out of a basin called Bobby's Hole.. The road is sometimes impassable.

The road didn't look that bad but would turn out to be the hardest climb we did on this trip.

With my better knowledge of the truck and how to drive it I was able to follow my friends Rover up for the most part. There was one rock that needed to put rocks under the tires to make it over. I broke the rule of waiting till 10:45 am and had a beer after that drive up.

Here is the sign at the top of the climb:

About the time we start to take the forest service road our a mountain the rain god struck again. It began to rain hard and temperature dropped.

My truck was covered in sleet. I didn't have any problem with the traction or the road but the over two tracks did. The tires on the Rover were purchased by the British Army and due to be replaced this fall. the Landcruiser had tendency to crab walk.

When we turned off of the road to the trail leading to the campsite was when I found out my father passed way two days earlier.

It was 4 pm local time and would take at least 2 hours to get to the highway so we decided to head back to KC in the morning. While I didn't fully take in the view if I can convince my wife to share her pictures it is impressive.

That night is a bit of a blur but the skies over Moab were clear and blue.

The trip down the mountain was stressful because I wasn't entirely sure we were on the right road.

I got to do a water crossing as the forest service road uses a crossing to clear Salt Creek, Missed that on the map I looked at before we left.

I was about to walk across to make sure when I noticed tire tracks on our side of the crossing, Someone else had made it so taking it slow we followed their line and made it with out issue.

Stopped at the pit toilet at highway intersection and .aired up the tires for our return to KC. It took 2 hours to go 22 miles. Not a good start.

We made Moab by about 11 am and stopped for fuel and lunch supplies.

We hit the highway and ZR2 was running at or above the speed limit easily.

We hit Grand Junction and stopped for gas as when we climbed Vail and Loveland passes to go into to Denver I wanted to be at 1/2 a tank of gas. No need to carry an extra 70 pounds up those grades.

We got sent off of the highway at Glenwood Springs because of a wreck. Thought there was a detour but we were wrong. From 2 pm to 6 pm we followed and then corrected GPS directions.

State highway 82 uses Independence Pass and it was still closed because of snow. The GPS found a solution but it didn't take into account Haggerman pass is 4X4 pass into Leadville.

After saying I've here before and it's the wrong way a short conversation with the guy on the snow plow confirmed the pass is still closed.

I was in a mode of just drive and didn't question anything until I saw the sign for the pass.

We turned around and got back to Glenwood Springs at 6 pm. Filling up and getting back on the highway we hit Vail pass about 8 pm. There was rain and sleet and the road was getting slick. The lights for using chains and to slow down were lit.

What should have been 45 minutes to a hour took 2 when we hit Denver after 10 pm.

We pushed on to Limon Colorado and called it a day.

The next day was a cruise under warm and sunny conditions to KC. Limon is about an hour east of Denver so we avoided the morning rush there.

If I get pictures from my wife I update the thread.

Old 09-21-2019, 07:27 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for the update on your trip. So sorry to hear about your dad and having to cut the trip short.

Old 09-21-2019, 09:22 PM
N. Jensen is on a distinguished road

My condolences on your loss.

Thanks for sharing your story. Moab is on my bucket list. Lots of mods ahead for the 4 door...or maybe a different vehicle?

Also, thanks for the front receiver tube idea. Found a set at the junk yard, nuts already welded on. Just have to drill out the tow hook holes a bit more to fit.

Old 09-26-2019, 09:19 PM
Hess13x is on a distinguished road

Sorry to hear about your dad. Awesome write up and pics.

Old 09-27-2019, 09:36 AM
BF Veteran
DonL will become famous soon enough

Condolences to you and yours, definatly a nice write up and pics

Old 09-28-2019, 10:37 AM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

So sorry for your loss.

Thanks for sharing your adventure!

Old 09-29-2019, 07:07 PM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

I'm really sorry to hear about your dad. He sounds like an awesome guy for telling you to keep going and not come back. At least you got the chance to tell him you loved him before he passed, though I'm sure he already knew.

Moab is right at the top of my bucket list. I'm hoping to finally go next year sometime. I was there once about 10 years ago, but I was driving a motorhome with five kids so, needless to say, I didn't do a lot of off-roading.

Anyway, that was a great write-up. Thanks for taking the time. And I'm glad your trip was enjoyable overall, even with a few minor setbacks and the sad news.