Off Roading Got a story about taking your Blazer off the paved roads? This is your section!

Is a 2WD worth the trouble?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 05:54 AM
Beginning Member
T.Low is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Is a 2WD worth the trouble?

ORIGINAL: Willy2590

I guess a good question to help specify would be: Just how much can a 2WD handle with beefed up tires and better lift? I'm not going to go all-out mudding, but I may put it through a little bit of light(er) offroad abuse here and there.

You should expect to be fineon the Forest Service roads and general two trackers.Deep sand and mud create a plowing effect that you may not have the rear traction to deal with. Steep hills and trails with big rocks are also your arch enemies. Remember, rain can change a tail rating from easy to difficult. With only 2wd, you just need to be smarter and know when to say when. I used to have the big badass rigs, not now, so I reach a certain point and just park and jump in with someone else if thats what the terrain dictates.

Old 03-01-2009, 04:45 PM
Starting Member
bammontana has a little shameless behavior in the past

I guess it always depends on 2wd... For instance my p74 (Police Interceptor Package - yea this has to be mentioned because it has a different rear end then civilian models) Crown Vic is pretty good in the snow to tell you the truth. Well, once your going, ha. I had to use my 88 toyota pickup to pull it a few feet on a hill, but I have to say it does pretty good driving.

I even did offroading with it. We went to this bear trail for a Prom thing a couple years back for my friend's Prom. His dad was with us in an explorer. This was upstate NY.. well the explorer blew up on him anyways. But I drank a good amount where I walked (or stumbled) down this pretty heavy incline hill, rocking as crap to the vic, jumped in the back seat and fell asleep for the night.

Next morning I felt like crappppp and did not want to walk up and down the hill to load the equipment.. So I threw her in 2nd gear, and crawled up the hill. Now this is a car, which is already low to the ground, and she made it right up! Sure I bottomed out and banged up a door, ahhh but the point is in 2wd I made it up great where the explorer had trouble and could not make it up.

Yea, it was a rare occasion and clearly I was not thinking straight because if it got stuck I am 300 miles from home. Yea.

Here she is:

http://www.supermotors.net/registry/3070

Anyways, depending on the rear 2wd can be fun. When I am fooling around in the truck I will have it in 2wd, but the 4wd is a much bigger help.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:12 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

The only thing 4wd does for you is get you stuck worse and further away from help

Seriously, a good set of A/Ts will get you a long way. A LSD/locker will get you even further.

I tend to drive offroad most of the time in 2wd just to see how my truck will do. I tend to do pretty damn good if I do say so myself. Of course, there are always situations where 4wd is a must, and then those situations that 4LO is definitely required.

Using common sense with a 2wd offroad is key. Just don't try to go through what you don't think you should and you should be ok.

Old 03-17-2009, 11:05 PM
Beginning Member
Willy2590 is an unknown quantity at this point

I appreciate it, guys. Turns out my truck doesn't have the locking rear

However, I've tested out the Blazer and it has done a heck of a lot better than I thought it would. Haven't given it too much hell, but it still hasn't had trouble getting out of any muddy situations so far. I have a friend who's an offroading expert who says that soon he's going to fix up an "obstacle course" for me.

Part A) A trail that anybody could get through

Part B) A trail I can get through, but it is going to require some practice/experience in how to drive offroad to get through it

Part C) A trail that he knows I can't get through (so I can see where my limits are). Good thing he'll be there to pull me out, lol.

I'll update you guys with how it's all working out. I know I still have a lot to learn, but the learning process sure is gonan be fun lol

Old 03-18-2009, 06:37 AM
Biohazed is on a distinguished road

definatly do what you wamt as it is your Truck don't let other dictate what you can or can't do. There are off Road trucks around that are 2WD. like the Prerunners

Old 03-18-2009, 06:04 PM
usmrocks is on a distinguished road

DO IT. there are tons of chevy colorados with the z71 package but not 4x4. and someone mentioned the prerunner toyota, i see more prerunners than 4x4, alot of people have been jacking up 2wd's

Old 03-18-2009, 06:32 PM
oisinirish is an unknown quantity at this point

I had a two wheel drive Dakota with a limited slip rear end and once I got the GoodYear Eagles off of it it would go about anywhere. Just gotta led the mud fly over the roof!

Old 03-18-2009, 09:28 PM
usmrocks is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by oisinirish
I had a two wheel drive Dakota with a limited slip rear end and once I got the GoodYear Eagles off of it it would go about anywhere. Just gotta led the mud fly over the roof!
i have a 97 dak with the 3.9. what size engine did you have?

Old 03-19-2009, 04:55 PM
oisinirish is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by usmrocks
i have a 97 dak with the 3.9. what size engine did you have?
Had a 2000 with the 4.7. 5 speed. Spun the tires in 4th on dry pavement.

Too bad the engine held on to RPM's well after depressing the clutch and laying off the throttle.

Old 03-25-2009, 03:53 PM
Beginning Member
BigBlue822 is an unknown quantity at this point

i Drive a 2wd 01' LS and i have yet to get stuck in the mud. Only change i have is a nice set of BFGoodwrinch A/T and besides that my truck is stock. Its defanitley worth it and do what ever you want to it. Yous still just got to play it smart and not get into to deep of mud, the only thing thats ever given me problems is sand.

Quick Reply: Is a 2WD worth the trouble?