Off Roading Got a story about taking your Blazer off the paved roads? This is your section!

4 wheel low

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 11:14 AM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 4 wheel low

When I got stuck in 4hi, thought i would try 4lo for the 1st time since i bought it. Put it in neutral, pressed 4lo, waited maybe 10 seconds then switched to drive, gave her gas, and the abs light came on for the 1st time ever. why did it come on? no abs in 4lo?

also what is the proper procedure to switch out of 4lo? back into neutral?

Can 4lo be used the same as 4hi, like is it safe to do regular driving in snow? or is it just for trouble situations? it didnt help at all, ended up getting out in 4hi.

Old 01-11-2007, 12:05 PM
4lowlife is on a distinguished road
Default RE: 4 wheel low

Can 4lo be used the same as 4hi
No, 4low is is just gear reduction. If you lost traction, it wont give you any. Your tires give you traction. not the AWD, not 4wd.

I get out of 4low by having the shifter it in neutral.and pressing 4hi or 2hi orauto awd.
Driving in 4low low regularly winds out the motor, which isbad.

I would use 4lo to let it idle a steep hill if I were offroading. I use to use it all the time when I off road in a buds woods. there where some steep hard packed mud hills when I would just have to lightly hold the throttle and the truck would just walk up it.

Old 01-11-2007, 12:25 PM
BF Veteran

thanks, in the manual it says "sends maximum power to all 4 tires"

Old 01-11-2007, 12:47 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, it'll put the power (torque really) there, but if you don't have the traction, you are better off with regular 4hi as it doesn't have the torque multiplication to the same extent as 4lo does.

Some automatic trans vehicles allow you to manually start off in 2nd gear which keeps the torque applied to the wheels down so that you can get going in low traction conditions without slipping.

Old 01-11-2007, 12:57 PM
BF Veteran

ahhhhh, i see, thanks guys.....also what is the best way to tow someone out, or yank em out. This guy i work with says to use 4lo and be in reverse, cause "they're the lowest gears"

true?

Old 01-11-2007, 01:01 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If you have the traction, yes. If you don't and you are just going to spin, then I'd say no. Rolling friction is higher than spinning friction so if you can keep the wheels from spinning, you'll get them out easier. And NEVER 'get a running start' to try to dislodge someone. You'll end up breaking things...

Old 01-11-2007, 01:14 PM
BF Veteran

lol, ya, i could see that happening......so if i dont have a hitch, can you just wrap a chain around that bar thats connected to the hitch, if you have to pull em forward.......

Old 01-11-2007, 02:09 PM
4lowlife is on a distinguished road

Purchase a "D" ring/shackle http://www.homedepot.com/cmc_upload/...48649489_3.jpgand keep it in the Blazer. You can insert the pin throught bal hitch hole and it can be you as a goodtow point.

Use a chain for the front using both tow hooks. That way force will be more evenly distributed than using onetow hook
I heard you can pull the frame out of alignment by using 1 frame rail. I don't know for a fact.

Old 01-11-2007, 08:21 PM
BF Veteran

ya, good idea, i can prolly steal a shackle from work. If only I could get out with a couple nylon chokers......

Old 01-15-2007, 05:55 AM
KFC_Or_Bust is an unknown quantity at this point

And NEVER 'get a running start' to try to dislodge someone. You'll end up breaking things...
Definitely get a running start if you can't get the person out just by tugging them. If you break things then oh well, hopefully everyone is unstuck when stuff decides to break. Sometimes the only thing you can do is slack up the rope/chain and hammer it back especially if someone is highsided and a swift jerking motion is all you can provide.

Quick Reply: 4 wheel low