Off Roading Got a story about taking your Blazer off the paved roads? This is your section!

4x4 engagement issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 08:41 PM
RCars2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 4x4 engagement issues

Im having a slight issue with my transfer case which is becoming irratating cuz darnit i want to get my new 31" BFG's broken in in a nice sloppy mudd hole. But here is where i stand right now. I cant really get the truck into 4wd. For almost a year now ive been stuck to 2hi only. Anytime i press 4hi or 4lo i hear it try and shift and then i hear a loud clank and im back in 2hi. Just today i was messing around with it and after bumpin the transmission in and out of gear while holding the 4-lo button i got the 4hi and 4lo buttons blinking simultaneously.I put the truck in neutral and they all go dark. At this point im thinking aww s*** now i lost the whole thing. So i restarted the truck and low and behold (after a one last loud clank) i was in 4 lo. Just to make sure i back out of the drive and went in some dirt and all 4 wheels were spinning. After that i pushed 2 hi and i was back to good and golden. Here is the funny part though, I cant get 4hi. If i press it, it trys and goes back to where it was before, almost like it cant stay in that gear. It goes from 2hi to 4lo and 4lo to 2hi just fine now but it just wont do 4hi. Heres what i want to know, is my tranfer case completely done or is it just the solenoid that everyone mentions?

Old 01-10-2008, 10:09 PM
chevyrules05 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: 4x4 engagement issues

it is prob the silanod for 4hi

Old 01-10-2008, 11:42 PM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road

Its the solinoid rob it sounds exactly like what it is man, I would start with that like I had mentioned to you a few weeks back when you came over and I listened to it!!!

Old 01-11-2008, 07:18 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Solenoid? How 'bout encoder motor...

Sounds like the encoder motor is having difficulty shifting to the 4HI position. Just to be sure, I would check the electrical connections at the switch, TCCM (passenger side kick panel), as well as at the encoder motor on the transfer case first to make sure all are securely fastened and there is not corrosion.

Old 01-11-2008, 06:57 PM
Zasder is an unknown quantity at this point

I could get into 2hi and 4lo but not 4HI

Turns out my switch was malfunctioning...might want to check that first since its a easy fix and will save you time and money!