Off Roading Got a story about taking your Blazer off the paved roads? This is your section!

Anyone make rear tow hooks? Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 11:34 PM
PaulO2288 is on a distinguished road
Default Anyone make rear tow hooks? Need Help

I have a 2000 Chevy Blazer and im looking for a rear point of recovery and to pull someone out quick if needed. I know my front tow hooks are strong from the yanks and what not ive given people but more or less just solid pulls and im looking for the same from the rear. I know its tight but im thinking about cutting a small hole in the bumper and mounting it to the frame rail so i can pull from the rear because i dont want to from the bumper 2" ball, My luck a yank will rip the bumper off :-( I know i should get a hitch but im trying to see if anyone has done this first and im not sure with my exhaust if i can fit the hitch

Old 10-25-2010, 11:52 PM
69chevelle is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by PaulO2288
I have a 2000 Chevy Blazer and im looking for a rear point of recovery and to pull someone out quick if needed. I know my front tow hooks are strong from the yanks and what not ive given people but more or less just solid pulls and im looking for the same from the rear. I know its tight but im thinking about cutting a small hole in the bumper and mounting it to the frame rail so i can pull from the rear because i dont want to from the bumper 2" ball, My luck a yank will rip the bumper off :-( I know i should get a hitch but im trying to see if anyone has done this first and im not sure with my exhaust if i can fit the hitch

I use my hitch... slide the tow rope in the hitch, put the pin in (not a cheapo pin) or heavier straps I wrap around my hitch and around the 'ball mount' so it can't come off.

front tow hooks are not as strong as you thing. I have snapped both off of mine...

Old 10-25-2010, 11:56 PM
PaulO2288 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by 69chevelle
I use my hitch... slide the tow rope in the hitch, put the pin in (not a cheapo pin) or heavier straps I wrap around my hitch and around the 'ball mount' so it can't come off.

front tow hooks are not as strong as you thing. I have snapped both off of mine...
So pretty much get a hitch? Ive done some extremely hard pulls from the front tow hooks and they are strong! Ive also had my buddies Durango and my Blazer trail pull a my brothers Suburban trying to pull out a stuck Silverado with no reverse and we both launched and those front hooks are strong enough for us i guess idk. I just dont want to anymore pulling from the front. I want to leave that as my front recovery points.

Old 10-26-2010, 12:06 AM
BF Veteran
DKSDAD is a jewel in the roughDKSDAD is a jewel in the roughDKSDAD is a jewel in the rough

Short of a custom rear bumper I think the trailer hitch is your best bet. You should look into up grading your front hooks. I installed a set out of a 90's Tahoe for more mass. Check the photos I have up on here or in my photobucket to see the difference.

Last edited by DKSDAD; 10-26-2010 at 12:16 AM. Reason: added more info
Old 10-26-2010, 12:10 AM
69chevelle is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by DKSDAD
Short of a custom rear bumper I think the trailer hitch is your best bet.
custom bumper IS the way to go

Originally Posted by PaulO2288
So pretty much get a hitch? Ive done some extremely hard pulls from the front tow hooks and they are strong! Ive also had my buddies Durango and my Blazer trail pull a my brothers Suburban trying to pull out a stuck Silverado with no reverse and we both launched and those front hooks are strong enough for us i guess idk. I just dont want to anymore pulling from the front. I want to leave that as my front recovery points.
you can mount hooks to the frame, many have done it. if you don't tow, a hitch is a waste of money and it drags sooner... but it is the strongest option

depending on how hard of pulls you do, I would recommend some sort of cross bracs to prevent your frame from bendint(if your front hooks have held up, you should be ok lol)

my 1st hook broke towing out an 88 flareside 1500 burring in mud and hydrolocked(understandable, didn't have a hitch then) and second one broke when I was half up my doors in mud...(again, understandable considering). then I got a hitch (which drags... but now with the b/l am going to raise it up)

if you do mount tow hooks, be carfull as to where your drill, use grade 8 bolts and wider 8 washers to spread the pressure out.

solid look hooks are stronger then open hooks but make it more difficult for hooking straps up.

Last edited by 69chevelle; 10-26-2010 at 12:14 AM.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:22 AM
Starting Member
Brianator99 is an unknown quantity at this point

If you mount hooks to your frame it would only be good if you were taller than the other person and if you need the hooks that might no be the case. I would honestly recommend a hitch with a clevis system set up. This is what I use in the winter and I take the clevis out when not needed. http://www.4wheelparts.com/Winches-a...pn=S%2fB29312B

Old 10-26-2010, 06:37 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

i dont know about the new gen s10s but the old frames in the back sucked. it got really thin behind the leaf spring shackle. i tried pulling out a truck before and tore my frame in a 85. hitch is always the way to go

Old 10-26-2010, 09:53 PM
Beginning Member
rush1329 is an unknown quantity at this point

if u have or get a hitch then use a hook or d ring, looks good and is fully functional

pick you poison

http://www.etrailer.com/c-WTH.htm

Old 10-29-2010, 02:54 AM
xmradioguy is an unknown quantity at this point

Instead of a regular tow hitch with a ball you can get one with a hook on it to fit in a 2" receiver hitch.

Old 10-29-2010, 09:37 AM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by xmradioguy
Instead of a regular tow hitch with a ball you can get one with a hook on it to fit in a 2" receiver hitch.
yup, thats what I have for pulling from the rear

Quick Reply: Anyone make rear tow hooks? Need Help