Off Roading Got a story about taking your Blazer off the paved roads? This is your section!

Anyone make rear tow hooks? Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 09:07 AM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

another thing you can do to be really cheap is just use the pin itself. put the strap loop inside the hitch hole and put the pin through. i really hate those cheap 10,000lb hooks. ive broken one before and that thing went flying into the guys truck in front of me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOCnDqYQLQk fast forward to about the :52 second mark for the actual breakage after that hook broke i started using those factory hooks of like the mid 90s fullsized chevys. never broke one

Last edited by abig84; 10-30-2010 at 09:10 AM.
Old 10-30-2010, 06:30 PM
69chevelle is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by abig84
another thing you can do to be really cheap is just use the pin itself. put the strap loop inside the hitch hole and put the pin through. i really hate those cheap 10,000lb hooks. ive broken one before and that thing went flying into the guys truck in front of me

fast forward to about the :52 second mark for the actual breakage after that hook broke i started using those factory hooks of like the mid 90s fullsized chevys. never broke one
ya both of mine flung, luckly it didn't hit anyone/anything.

I also picked up a set of hooks off a fullsize, haven't mounted them yet but they are blasted and painted(nice and shiny)

Old 10-31-2010, 06:12 AM
xmradioguy is an unknown quantity at this point

I would expect any 25 year old rusty hook to break when a guy takes a run like that and jerks 4000lbs like that.

Old 10-31-2010, 12:37 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by xmradioguy
I would expect any 25 year old rusty hook to break when a guy takes a run like that and jerks 4000lbs like that.
true. them ford guys in that club were known for being show offs like that. also that wasnt the factory k5 hook. it was one of those crappy 10,000 chrome ones you buy from autozone. thats back when that truck was new to me too. that was probably my 2nd or 3rd pull

BUT there are instances where you do need to be yanked really hard and later on with those newer hooks ive had trucks yank way harder even when i had a suburban and they were fine.

also i think, its been a while, but to put those on the rear of a s10 you have to cut the back part of the hook down and redrill a hole for some reason. i remember having to do that

Old 11-01-2010, 12:08 AM
PaulO2288 is on a distinguished road

Yeah so i guess ill stay with tow hooks up front and a hitch in the rear. Its honestly the best way to do it i guess. Ive even seen people with hitches up front too lol

Old 11-01-2010, 02:27 AM

usually people that put hitches in front use them for launching boats as they find it easier driving ahead than backing up the trailer into the water

Old 11-01-2010, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by xmradioguy
usually people that put hitches in front use them for launching boats as they find it easier driving ahead than backing up the trailer into the water
Yeah but offroad vehicles and those vehicles with the front hitch ive seen with hooks and d links in too its awesome

Old 11-01-2010, 09:57 AM
Blazers.B.Kewl is an unknown quantity at this point

My school made a set for me. Not quite a custom bumper, but not just a set of hooks either.
All this is, is a few pieces of square 2in tube. Weld them together in kind of a wide "H" and drill holes to fit and then you can put anything you want in the tube just like a regular hitch. I haven't had to use them yet, luckily, but i know they're there. I wish i had a better pic for you, but this is the best I have at the moment.

Old 11-01-2010, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Blazers.B.Kewl
My school made a set for me. Not quite a custom bumper, but not just a set of hooks either.
All this is, is a few pieces of square 2in tube. Weld them together in kind of a wide "H" and drill holes to fit and then you can put anything you want in the tube just like a regular hitch. I haven't had to use them yet, luckily, but i know they're there. I wish i had a better pic for you, but this is the best I have at the moment.
Thats pretty awesome. Im going to end up getting the hitch probably

Old 11-01-2010, 07:57 PM

I have a class 3 hitch for a 1st gen blazer I would sell for $20 shipping would be killer though

Quick Reply: Anyone make rear tow hooks? Need Help