Off Roading Got a story about taking your Blazer off the paved roads? This is your section!

buying a blazer for off roading need advice

Old 03-30-2009, 01:13 AM
Ugly_Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by can4_life
...they just don’t have the power to hang with the big boys and forget about mudding.
Thank you, at least somebody speaks the truth! You could just give your money to me instead of throwing it away? Just buy a blazer and get a night job!

Old 03-30-2009, 06:46 PM
huntsman is on a distinguished road

yeah i dont know i heard from alot of people the jeeps are better then blazers and the 4 runners iv seen were v6

Old 03-30-2009, 09:15 PM
can4_life is on a distinguished road
Default Go Blazers

It’s not that the Cherokee are better then the Blazers, it’s just more practical, there are millions of jeep out there and part are so easy to find and not quiet as many blazer. But also keep in mind, the Blazers Vortec engine is the best V6 engine out there, and are often the choice for true off roads for smaller 4x4. I have owned a lot of 4x4 trucks

1978 Blazer K5
1977 Blazer K5
1988 Cherokee
1988 4 Runner
1995 Range Rover LWB
1989 Wrangler (still own)
2000 Blazer ZR2 (still own)

And I can honestly tell you the Chevy brand has been great in terms of 4x4 as well as dependable. My K5’s have been monsters in all kinds of different off-roading situations and so far my ZR2 has followed the tradition. I love Chevy for a reason!!!!

I hope this helps

Old 03-31-2009, 04:27 PM

yeah i dont know i see the k5 as an offroad veh but the newer blazer just dont seem like their ment for it. But ill keep an eye out for them maybe if i find one for a good price ill get it.

Old 03-31-2009, 10:23 PM
Beginning Member
second97 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by can4_life
It’s not that the Cherokee are better then the Blazers, it’s just more practical, there are millions of jeep out there and part are so easy to find and not quiet as many blazer. But also keep in mind, the Blazers Vortec engine is the best V6 engine out there, and are often the choice for true off roads for smaller 4x4. I have owned a lot of 4x4 trucks

1978 Blazer K5
1977 Blazer K5
1988 Cherokee
1988 4 Runner
1995 Range Rover LWB
1989 Wrangler (still own)
2000 Blazer ZR2 (still own)

And I can honestly tell you the Chevy brand has been great in terms of 4x4 as well as dependable. My K5’s have been monsters in all kinds of different off-roading situations and so far my ZR2 has followed the tradition. I love Chevy for a reason!!!!

I hope this helps
...They are good engines but those things sure do like to eat intake manifold gaskets and spin bearings when you get to the higher mileages

Old 04-01-2009, 04:10 PM

hey what about a nissan pathfinder or isuzu rodeo cuz i came across them and i dont know if there good for offroading and if parts are easy to find and inxepensive veh to fix.

Old 04-01-2009, 05:05 PM
Beginning Member
eljefe83 is an unknown quantity at this point

If you're anything like me you won't buy anything but a Chevy!! I've driven just about anything, but I'll always pick a Chevy over anything. It's a personal choice.

Old 04-01-2009, 05:36 PM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

As far as off-road ability is concerned... The best parts of the Cherokee are the in-line 6 and the solid front axles. The worst part of the Cherokee is the unibody construction. If s-Blazers would have came from the factory with a solid front axle, we wouldn't be having this conversation because the Blazer would be the hands down winner. When you start talking Toyota and the others, things get more expensive when it comes to parts. The 3.0 liter Toyota V6 had some serious camshaft and other problems. Toyota replaced many engines under warranty but those warranties have long expired by now.

Old 04-10-2009, 05:02 PM
Starting Member
ejschultz is on a distinguished road

if you end up with a 95, ask if the cpi has ever been changed. it's a common problem from what i've read and heard from a handful of mechanics. it's a central port injection system. gm, i guess, decided to go cheap on these and they aren't that great. it's a single injector with a system of hoses and poppets. the poppets like to get stuck, sometimes open and sometimes closed, and sometimes the hoses will leak. i got my 95 jimmy at a steal because the previous owner didn't know why it was running as poorly as it was. it turned out to be the cpi. when i got the intake plenum off, i had a couple of stuck poppets and one of the hoses was leaking. i replaced the cpi, the order of the hoses does not matter, and it ran much better and gas milage definitely increased. the cpi can seem to be a major problem, but if you know what you're doing and can change it yourself, it's really not that bad or expensive. i think i paid somewhere around 200 for mine. most mechanics will charge about 500 installed. other than that, a 95 with 95000 miles doesn't sound too bad, but like everyone else has stated, check it out, make sure everything works properly, bring it to a mechanic, don't jump on it.

Old 04-10-2009, 06:33 PM
oisinirish is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by huntsman
yeah i dont know i see the k5 as an offroad veh but the newer blazer just dont seem like their ment for it. But ill keep an eye out for them maybe if i find one for a good price ill get it.

GO K5!

Well I might be just a weee bit prejudiced.