Off Roading Got a story about taking your Blazer off the paved roads? This is your section!

did a lil muddin'

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 07:18 PM
LuvMyTJ is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Benedict1337
only thing I'm disappointed about with blazers is the 4 wheel drive is poop... if all 4 of my tires would have power I wouldn't have gotten stuck near as many times as I do. I bet if all your wheels had power you would have made it through. oh well hopefully I'm fixing that problem soon
All 4x4's designed for road use are that way. Only 2 wheels drive while 2 are "tracking" wheels. (Only one wheel drives on a 2 wheel drive... hence the "one wheel peel" unless you have posi-traction.) You could put lockers in the axles, but you will lose the nice road manners it has now. I don't drive my Jeep in the winter as the axles are locked. If I am off a hard surface, like my lawn, it tears the hell outta it since both wheel turn together. On hard surfaces, when I turn, it releases so the inside tire doesn't screech, and the drive line doesn't bind up. If there are slippery surfaces, it is great if you travel under 20 mph, but over that it can spin out easy. Ever do a brake stand burnout and have someone push lightly on the side of the car and it will slide very easily since there is little to no friction. Well being locked up will produce similar effects. If you are stock, one wheel is under power in the rear, one in the front. The wheel that is not powered is keeping you from sliding sideways should the vehicle be off camber (tilted), if both wheel spin, it will slide sideways from gravity, and no friction. If you do not have snowy winter driving in your future, you can do it without to many problems. Your other option is to lay down some flow and buy a selectable locker. These are air or electric operated, and can be turned on and off. Be prepared to make your wallet cry though. Make sense?

Last edited by LuvMyTJ; 03-16-2010 at 07:20 PM.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:33 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

The limited slip in the rear of mine does ok, if one tires spins too much it engages the other so both get power. My friend didn't think I could get up a grass/weed hill in 2wd while we were out fishing. I left it in 2wd & started up, PS tire spun a bit, I stopped & gave it gas again, both locked & up the hill I went. But I agree with the front end, it needs help, more in the form of like TJ said, a selectable locker like an ARB Air Locker. That way you keep the road friendlyness of the open front but have the security & off road manners of a lockable front diff.

<edit> oh yeah, with the rear limited slip - in order for it to power both back wheels you have to be going straight I believe. Thats the only drawback I can see.

Last edited by Rottidog; 03-16-2010 at 07:36 PM.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:50 PM
pj5454302 will become famous soon enough

Nice truck! we should start a black 2 door jimmy club.

Old 03-17-2010, 01:01 PM
Starting Member
DaveC is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Benedict1337
only thing I'm disappointed about with blazers is the 4 wheel drive is poop... if all 4 of my tires would have power I wouldn't have gotten stuck near as many times as I do. I bet if all your wheels had power you would have made it through. oh well hopefully I'm fixing that problem soon
tell me about it i get so frustrated with it sometimes, ill just get stuck and get out and look around and be like "why the **** am i stuck?, i really should not be stuck." o yea cause both my diffs are god damn open and and now i cant move. i need a damn locker. i was gonna get a G80 then a bunch of people here explained that they are very problematic so i decided no to go that route, now im just saving up for a lock rite.

Old 03-18-2010, 01:31 PM
pj5454302 will become famous soon enough

Attaboy, lockrite is the way to go!!!!

Old 03-18-2010, 01:35 PM
LuvMyTJ is on a distinguished road

Read this now, remember this later... save a little more cash up for the PowerTrax... you will regret getting the LockRite. They are both made by the same company, but they have design differences. The Powertrax is gonna by waaay better than a LockRite, especially if you rarely take it off-roading. The LockRite tends to break easily, is noisy in operation, and has poor on-road manners. The PowerTrax is quiet, and has excellent on-road manners. Go check out some other truck forums that are mainly off-road, you will find the same information I am giving you. I use a PowerTrax myself, and I wheel my junk like it was meant to when I off-road. I know my personal equipment since I built it, and I push it to the edge. So aside from a selectable locker, it is the one of the best ways to go. If you have really deep pockets, go with a selectable locker.

Old 03-18-2010, 01:43 PM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

I'm considering the lsd i think that would work good for me. and leave just the one front wheel spinning. then it will be better in the mud but not effect how it drives on the road and snow

Old 03-18-2010, 06:43 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

looks like you had a blast (again) Dave.

was that @ the usual track there in Kitchener?

Old 03-18-2010, 11:03 PM
Starting Member
DaveC is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by LuvMyTJ
Read this now, remember this later... save a little more cash up for the PowerTrax... you will regret getting the LockRite. They are both made by the same company, but they have design differences. The Powertrax is gonna by waaay better than a LockRite, especially if you rarely take it off-roading. The LockRite tends to break easily, is noisy in operation, and has poor on-road manners. The PowerTrax is quiet, and has excellent on-road manners. Go check out some other truck forums that are mainly off-road, you will find the same information I am giving you. I use a PowerTrax myself, and I wheel my junk like it was meant to when I off-road. I know my personal equipment since I built it, and I push it to the edge. So aside from a selectable locker, it is the one of the best ways to go. If you have really deep pockets, go with a selectable locker.
there lies the problem i dont have deep pockets at all lol i have very small pockets. is the power trax much more exspensive then the lock rite? and i take my truck off road quite a bit.

Originally Posted by old skool luvr
looks like you had a blast (again) Dave.

was that @ the usual track there in Kitchener?
yea i had a blast but no it was kilaly where most of my pictures are from ive only been to kitchener once to go wheelin

Old 03-18-2010, 11:16 PM
Starting Member
sifd4x4 is on a distinguished road

looks like some good mud. what kind of bfg's do you have and what size?

Quick Reply: did a lil muddin'