Off Roading Got a story about taking your Blazer off the paved roads? This is your section!

Headed to Africa

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 12:49 PM
Beginning Member
groundedmk is on a distinguished road
Default Headed to Africa

hello gents,

I need some help with getting my 2000 blazer 4x4 ready for some serious off-roading in west africa.

The big thing I am worried about is getting everything sealed tight against water and dust. I will be frequently going through water high enough to cover the engine and there are extremely high temperatures with plenty of dust to ruin things.

I need to know what i will need to change on the engine, cabin seals, ect. Just post what you've done and tell me where to get the parts. All help is much appreciated, and I hope to have some pictures to post in the next few years.

oh, and please keep your posts on topic ...I've and way to many of my threads hijacked lol

thanks guys!

Old 10-29-2011, 04:34 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

Well you definetly need a snorkel for water that high. If you will be going at night then I would suggest some off road lights.

Old 10-29-2011, 11:54 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

Not trying to be an a$$ but I would use another vehicle to start with. What you are wanting to do with your Blazer will require major $$$ and major custom mods. There is just not the aftermarket support for these vehicles for what you want to do.

However, if you have a mighty big bank account:

1. SFA
2. carb'd V8
3. 350 turbo trans
4. Forget about sealing the cab unless you plan on welding the doors on
5. Snorkle
6. Figure a way to carry two spares, tools, fluids, spare parts, etc.
7. Winch front and rear
8. Increase the amount of fuel you can carry, either through an aux tank or carrying jerry cans.
9. Research, and research some more the BEST tires needed for what you'll be going through.
10. Snorkle
11. Custom bumpers front and rear.

I'm sure I can come up with much more if I thought a bit on it but these are just a few off the top of my head. You will want to have the most basic, reliable drive train that can be repaired on the trail. That goes with the suspension and any and all mods.

Old 10-30-2011, 03:16 PM
Beginning Member

okay, is there a company that makes a snorkel to fit or will i have to build one?

Old 10-30-2011, 06:08 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

most just build there own....
ok, when i think of someone doing what your thinking of doing this blazer comes to mind....

https://blazerforum.com/forum/builds...r-build-45501/

the closest thing on the forums that could come close to being ready for what you want to do...the work on this blazer is inspiring to say the least. look at what he has done and then do better....that is what you need to do.

thats what i would do.

Old 10-31-2011, 02:49 AM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

Ha, I knew which blazer that was before even clicking on the link. Yep, something like that is in order for your plans.

Old 10-31-2011, 08:17 AM
litterbug will become famous soon enough

if you are going to get a custom bumper i have a friend selling his. its heavy duty. sounds like what you would need in order to be driving in africa lol. its for sale in the classifieds on the forum here.

Old 10-31-2011, 01:56 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

the one thing missing is......where are you right now if you taking this to west africa?
i saw that you said pics in year or so....just curious about trip details and where your starting at in the first place.

Old 11-02-2011, 12:14 PM
Beginning Member

my wife and myself will be living there in about two years from now. We are going with an organization called New Tribes Mission (NTM). They specifically target remote tribal groups and they are usually very hard to get to. Most people use toyota land rovers but who has that kind of money? Besides I'm a blazer enthusiast! What else would I bring?

Old 11-02-2011, 12:26 PM
Beginning Member

I'm starting with a stock 2000 blazer. This thing was a steal for $3000, its in perfect condition. zero rust and i had a Jasper rebuilt tranny put in a month ago.

warthogdriver, thank you mucho for that link. That german dude is an inspiration as well as a genius.

Here's my to do list so far:
-1in suspension lift
-1in body lift
-19in tires?
-snorkel
-roof rack
-heavy gauge steel bumpers
-winch
-brush guard
-1in wheel spacers for rear

This thing still has to be practical because there are still paved roads for the most part and we will be there long term. Extreme lift kits put a lot of strain on things and i don't want it to weigh 6,000lbs.

Last edited by groundedmk; 11-15-2011 at 10:31 AM.

Quick Reply: Headed to Africa