Off Roading Got a story about taking your Blazer off the paved roads? This is your section!

Headed to Africa

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 08:57 AM
Starting Member
USMC3782 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by groundedmk
First of all, thank you for your service in the USMC...you guys are much appreciated. AND you list is very helpful. I have most of that on my to do list except the exhaust rerouting. I am considering doing that but not sure yet. The one thing I disagree with you on is the local music. I grew up in Guinee, West Africa and I enjoy their music.
I was on the east coast of africa in Djibouti. Showed me everything wrong with the french colonies and especially now the tribal politics and how they treat each other. Terrible corruption over there with the port money and khat trade.

Oh and I hate surrender monkey pop music (french)

If you speak the local dialect well then the music may not be so bad but I did not know Issa dialect french or arabic.

Also for a though, goodyear makes silent armour tires that are kevlar lined. I would roll with these or at lease an 3 rated flotation sized tire.

Old 11-10-2011, 10:22 AM
ChevyBlazerChick will become famous soon enoughChevyBlazerChick will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Irocz327
That looks like some sorta RG 31 version.. but by the photo it looks smaller then a reg RG 31.. just saying.. thou I doubt to many people know what I'm talking about huh USMC... haha
It should look a lot like the RG 31. The Marauder is manufactured in South Africa as is the RG-31. I think they have the same specs but the Marauder is 10 tons while the RG-31 is 7. But other than that, both 9 feet high, 21 feet long.

Hubby was a Marine and I grew up in Camp Lejeune/Cherry Point.

Old 11-10-2011, 12:43 PM
Irocz327 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by ChevyBlazerChick
It should look a lot like the RG 31. The Marauder is manufactured in South Africa as is the RG-31. I think they have the same specs but the Marauder is 10 tons while the RG-31 is 7. But other than that, both 9 feet high, 21 feet long.

Hubby was a Marine and I grew up in Camp Lejeune/Cherry Point.
huh? i would'a guess the weights different lol. & just spent a yr fixxing though damn things lol.

Old 11-15-2011, 10:28 AM
Beginning Member
groundedmk is on a distinguished road

OK, back on topic...
I will be starting with the 2in body lift. As I understand it the only thing you have to mod is the steering shaft and the air intake? I won't be messing with raising the bumpers as I will be replacing them. Has someone done this and run into something else?

Last edited by groundedmk; 11-15-2011 at 10:46 AM.
Old 12-04-2011, 03:00 PM
Beginning Member

I've been chasing down little things that go around 150k miles...

-idler pulley
-tensioner arm pulley
-alternator
-water pump
-heater core
-front hubs
-swing arm bushings

Next project will be replacing all ball joints/tie rods/linkages with moog greasable parts. And then on to some lift and new tires. Will be going with PA 2in body lift, 1in torsion bar and 1.5in shackles. Tires will be 30in bfgoodrich all-terrain T/A tires.

Then I will be replacing the bumpers with 4"x10" square steel tubing, the front will be a one piece brush guard and bumper with winch built in.

After that I am drawing plans for a snorkel and rook rack. And I have plans for posi-lock
4x4, cb radio, wheel spacers, aux battery, lights, skid plates, and tool stowage.

All of this will be done over the next two years by yours truly...hopefully limited shop involvement.

Like I said before, where this thing is going everybody drives land rovers. I'm gonna show 'em what a chevy can do. get-r-done!

Will be posting pics and progress on this thread...

Last edited by groundedmk; 12-04-2011 at 08:52 PM.
Old 12-04-2011, 05:36 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

your list seems dead on...better check fuel pump to if you havent already.
also idler and pitman arm while your doing the front.
and adding a steering stabilizer as well when you get into the lifting will help with the wear and tear i think.

as far as body lift you dont need to mod the steering at all...i never did.

am interested to see your progress.
if you can do a photo chop...would be nice to see your end goals.

Old 12-04-2011, 08:50 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks for the tips...

Will have photos, I promise

Old 12-13-2011, 04:16 PM
Beginning Member
Karsten is on a distinguished road

Screw the body lift ! Too much strain on the body mounts and cab on dirt tracks all day long. The body mounts will crack eventually. You'll also want to keep the truck as light as possible. Stock bumpers will do and a good set of 30" BFG MT's and 2" suspension lift will do the trick. Rear locker and cargo management of some sort would be good. Maybe a come-along winch and a second spare.
Easier and cheaper in the long run would be to just buy a Toyota HZJ75 or 78 Troop Carrier or a Nissan Patrol and keep it stock with 235/85R16 MT tires. Don't buy a Land Rover ! Those are breaking more than driving.
Getting spare parts for the Blazer will be a PITA, Toyota parts are available everywhere. You'll even have to check if your Chevy can be imported anyways without paying a huge amount of tax and customs.

Old 01-02-2012, 08:53 PM
Beginning Member

Already have connections where I am going and can get it shipped and through customs for $1300. I got the 2in body lift in this weekend and 31in general grabbers. My cousin who has been welding custom bumper, grills, toolboxes, etc for 30 years will be helping me weld heavy gauge aluminum front bumper brush guard, rear bumper and roof rack. That way all will be light weight and strong. I'll post pics of the lift and new tires soon! Oh and my connections in Africa can get parts for american cars.

Old 01-21-2012, 10:19 AM
Beginning Member

Quick Reply: Headed to Africa