Off Roading Got a story about taking your Blazer off the paved roads? This is your section!

just bought a 91...need it lifted

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 11:27 PM
fzr confused is an unknown quantity at this point
Default just bought a 91...need it lifted

well, my buddy and i just bought a 91 4wd 2dr blazer tonight for a mud truck. this truck will never see onroad. we will be putting a 3" body lift on it and taking a sawzall to the fenders. will we be able to clear 33's? we are not scared to cut a bunch to make it fit . we are looking to run some boggers on it. is there anywhere i can find out what gears it has? and also are there any other forms of cheap lifts for the front? i know it doesnt have coils, so coil spacers are out. but anything else like that? im looking for the largest tire that will fit there with the 3" body and the cutting. a solid axle swap will be in the future when this front end blows

Old 03-21-2006, 11:48 PM
4lowlife is on a distinguished road
Default RE: just bought a 91...need it lifted

Are using the facory wheels? If you choose something with more backspacing, I don't see a rub problem with the fenders cut.

A qoute from one of our mods.

Fastest way is through the RPO listing in the glovebox.
Here are some of the ones off of a 2000 list (don't think it changed at all year to year):
GT4 Rear Axle: 3.73 Ratio

GT5 Rear Axle: 4.10 Ratio

GU4 Rear Axle: 3.08 Ratio

GU6 Rear Axle: 3.42 Ratio

G80 Rear Axle: Positraction, Limited Slip

You could also look it up on one of the many RPO code listing sites: Regular Production Option (RPO) Codes

Old 03-21-2006, 11:54 PM

the wheels on it in the rear have pacer center caps. so i do not think they are stock. i have no real info on the truck as of yet. i bought it off of a buddy of mines grandpa. he is an older man and is kinda getting forgetful. the truck is at my buddies house since he has room to store it. but all i have with me is the VIN from the title. ill have to look at the glovebox soon. thanks

Old 03-21-2006, 11:58 PM

well, just got off the phone with him, he was still home and ran out. its a gu6, so its got 3.42's. hopefully it still has power to turn the 33's . it is SOOOO slow right now, but it has been sitting for 3 years. so it needs a tuneup. we will see if any power is brought back from that. that and replace the gas

Old 03-22-2006, 03:39 AM
4lowlife is on a distinguished road

I would add some fresh fuel. Then drive it until it's all out. Happy motoring.

Old 03-22-2006, 06:18 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

I would also add some sort of fuel cleaner, like sea foam. Buy a couple of cans and follow the directions.

3.42 are gonna be low for 33", but that is what you have. Does she have the 4.3L engine. I hope so, that will help in the power department.

I installed a 3" body lift, and am running 285/75/R16 Cooper Discovery ST tires on Firebird wheels on my '87 S10-Blazer. The wheels have the same 6" backspacing as stock wheels, however the Firebird rims are 8" wide verse the 7" of the factory wheels. The 285/75/R16 is 33"x11.3"x16". Besides trimming the fender, I had to beat the firewall back about 1". I took out the inner fender well, then beat the firewall back, then put the inner fender back in and screwed the lower portion to the firewall to hold it back. My tires rub on the frame at full crank. Maybe a wheel with less backspacing will eliminate that, however it will require more fender trimming. GM set these trucks up so the tires are within the fender well, take a look. Have your buddy turn the steering wheel lock to lock while parked, watch how close the tires come to the rear of the fender well as it turns. Notice where it gets closer. Measure how much space you have now, factor in how much bigger the tires are and that will give oyu a rough idea how much to chop out.

Click here to pic and info of my 3" body lift and fender trimming

Old 03-22-2006, 06:23 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Solid axle swap will be the best way to gain elevation. You can do a suspension lift, however that will not help with articulation in the front. Plus I would not run bigger then a 33" tire on the stock drivetrain. When you do decide to do the solid axle swap, do not swap in a Dana 30 axle thinking it will be stronger, it won't be, and I wouldn't recommend bigger then a 33" tire on the Dana 30 axle. The best option is a HPD44 front and Ford 9" rear, or HPD60 front and 14ff rear, or for real strenght, 2 1/2 ton axles front and back. When you get ready let me know. There are some serious web-sites where guys have done all of these mods. Which way you go will depend on your budget, and skills.

Old 03-22-2006, 08:37 PM

yeah, it has the 4.3 in it. im not sure which axles i will go with, but im deff going stronger than needed as for the seafoam, it is getting a can of that this weekend before the tune up . gunna do that first, then plugs, wires, filters, all the fluids changed, and i think thats about it for now. see how she runs after that as it is slow as ***** right now....

Old 03-23-2006, 05:27 PM
BF Veteran

Sounds like a plan and a busy day.
Your gonna love that truck off-road.
I ahve a ball in mine and it only has a 2putt8, but that was with 30" tires. Now that I have 33" on it I am anxious to see how she does. I suspect I will not make it up long steep hills, just not enough grunt. But we will see.

Old 03-23-2006, 05:38 PM

yeah, im in florida....the only "hills" we have around here are bridges lol.

Quick Reply: just bought a 91...need it lifted