Off Roading Got a story about taking your Blazer off the paved roads? This is your section!

legal trouble!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 08:07 PM
lochenjons is an unknown quantity at this point
Default legal trouble!

So by my friends house there's all these dirt tails and open areas and stuff. And we decided to go for a little wheelin. But apparently its a bunch of different peoples property, rich people to. Anyway a bunch of them called the cops and they called my house a little while ago and it looks like reckless driving, driving off road, trespassing, and vandalism to property. Theres probably nothing i can do and I dont know yet how bad it is, but it sure isnt looking good

Old 09-11-2006, 08:30 PM
BF Veteran
XBlazer01 has a spectacular aura aboutXBlazer01 has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: legal trouble!

LOL damn dude that sucks!

Just appologize to them go to the peoples houses man. See if the charges can be dropped. Offer to repair the damage

Old 09-11-2006, 08:35 PM

Yeah my friend has had to do a lot of that since their his neighbors. I talked to one guy as we were leaving that day that threatened to call the police, but he seemed alright about it. The thing is a ton of people called in. the worst neighborhood ever man. and we were only out there for like 10 min

Old 09-11-2006, 08:36 PM
1996BZR is an unknown quantity at this point

say it wasn't you if they don't have camera footage. Change your tires, repaint your truck.[sm=shades.gif]

Old 09-11-2006, 08:41 PM

haha even though like tons of people all gave the same license plate number. the guy that talked to us said he took pics too but i dont beleive him. actaully theres a 74 around here with the same paint job. maybe i can blame it on him. Actaully Ill just say I didn't know it was people's porperty and i thought it was public and didn't cause really too much damage and that I'll help fix it

Old 09-11-2006, 09:07 PM
ceanern is an unknown quantity at this point

Is there any posted signs? Say it is private property? Also Was it muddy or dry out? Doesn't really tear much up if it is dry. Unless ya were intentionally spinning tires.

Old 09-11-2006, 09:11 PM

There were some signs but I cant remeber if there were by where we were. It was dry, we didnt even tear it up or anyhting. In one place yeah, up this steep hill in this field which turns out to be someones "yard". I wouldnt be surprised if nothing happens to me but still its got me worried. Especially cause I just got my license back after being suspended like a month ago

Old 09-11-2006, 09:30 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I would talk with the owners of the property and ask if you can repair the damage done without charges being filed. If they are ****** about it...see below.

Ok, I'll run down through the things you mentioned:
reckless driving - I don't believe that the cop can issue this ticket without witnessing the incident itself. This cannot be charged by a land owner. If it does get issued, it will probably become a he-said, she-said thing and will be dropped in most courts.

driving off road - is this a ticket? When was it made illegal?...

trespassing - Can be charged by the land owner, but burden of proof is on them. If there are no posted signs, is it trespassing? How are you to know where their land stops and someone elses starts...

vandalism to property - Can be charged by the land owner. Well, gotcha there, but again...deny it and ask for proof.

Old 09-11-2006, 10:17 PM
ceanern is an unknown quantity at this point

It is illegal to go off-roading in Virginia. They consider it wreckless driving. and from what i was told they will arrest you on the spot and impound your vehicle.

Old 09-11-2006, 10:56 PM
DetroitMuscle is an unknown quantity at this point

Even if no signs were posted on the property,if the property corners were marked ( sticks with flourescent ribbon on them) its still tresspassing because it is a visible marker BUT there cant be others around it for marked utilities SO im sure you didnt notice them but its a HEADS UP to anyone who thinks no one owns the land. Keep an eye out for them when you are out on the trails, Charges will stand if they are in place.

Id go apologize let them know you didnt know and were going off the direction of a resident of the neighborhood, they can afford to pursue but most will think " no harm no foul" in the end IF you go to them, the sooner the better.

Quick Reply: legal trouble!