Off Roading Got a story about taking your Blazer off the paved roads? This is your section!

New blazer (story)

Old 09-15-2013, 10:55 AM
Beginning Member
Hagies is on a distinguished road
Default New blazer (story)

Well, went shopping for a 4x4 chevy blazer to use as a daily driver and also to use to get back to my hunting spots and came across a 1998 chevy 4x4 for $3k. Decided to purchase it and of course, within the 8 hours of having it, I had to have it towed home due to the ignition coil going bad.

After replacing that part, after 2 days, the truck starts overheating on me! I found this problem when I got home from work and heard my radiator coolant boiling...tried all sorts of things to find out why this is happening and I found that it only overheats when the AC is running when im not moving (like at a red light).

So, knowing that, I figured it wasn't a urgent problem I need to fix asap, so I decided to take it out to check on a few hunting spots and test out the 4x4. I'm about 30 mins out on a trail of mud, swamp, and sugar sand and ALMOST out to my spot, when I took it too fast through some muddy water where the Intake sucked some of it in all the way to the spark plugs and stalled me out. Now im sitting here in the swamp, 30 mins out from any road, jackin' my truck up to take spark plugs out when I realized EVERYTHING EXCEPT THE TRANSFER CASE IS MISSING! So here I am thinking im in 4wd, when technically i'm just lucky enough to not get stuck...

After 2 hours of workin on the truck in the swamp, I get it running again and back home. Now i'm in the process in wondering what will happen between me and the Buy Here Pay Here Dealer lol. It was advertised as 4x4 and it even states it on the invoice so i'm hoping something can be done!

Okay, sorry for the ranting, all in all, lesson learned...CHECK EVERYTHING OUT ON A TRUCK BEFORE PURCHASING!

Also, i'd like to introduce myself (new to the forum and to the blazer world). Hopefully the rough part is over and I can soon enjoy a 4wd blazer. God Bless!

Old 09-15-2013, 11:04 AM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

What do you mean everything was missing except the t-case? Like the front diff was MIA or something? Glad to hear you made it back under your own power!!!!

Old 09-15-2013, 11:14 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by cleburne red
What do you mean everything was missing except the t-case? Like the front diff was MIA or something? Glad to hear you made it back under your own power!!!!
Yep! Front differentials, everything that has to do with making it a 4x4 except for the T case was gone! I should've checked prior to purchasing, but I was so focused on getting that blazer it slipped my mind lol. Any ideas on how much it would be for all of the parts to make it 4x4 again? I was looking online but found scattered pieces. I was thinking maybe from a U-pull junk yard but i'm kind of weary on doing so, just in case the parts dont work or something knowing my luck haha.

Old 09-16-2013, 01:51 AM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

Well that's a new one. We do have a couple of guys on here that have done that to save weight, but I've never heard of someone selling something like that without letting the buyer know.

Old 09-16-2013, 03:40 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Thogert
Well that's a new one. We do have a couple of guys on here that have done that to save weight, but I've never heard of someone selling something like that without letting the buyer know.
Yea I was shocked when I noticed it. I'm having a talk with him in person tomorrow to discuss what can be done!

Old 09-16-2013, 04:40 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

im one of the guys that deleted 4x4 to save weight. i know my **** LOL.

So hold on the front diff was missing? Well...if so.. they rarely cause problems. get one from the pick it yard. Just look at the sticker inside the glove box at some 3 digit codes and make sure your axle codes are the same,or you WILL cause damage in 4wd if you dont match the rear with the front. look for g codes,aka gu2,gu3,gu4,etc. google what code u have then find a blazer with the same code. serious man,dont think u can get by with this. it will indeed destroy crap. lol. maker sure its right.

so thats that. now if you dont have the driveshaft for front,no big dead. get one at the yard, wrap the ends with electrical tape to keep the caps from falling off and needle bearing flying everywhere. replacing them sucks *****.

Hopefully i helped any. dont skimp out on 4wd stuffs.

Old 09-18-2013, 08:00 AM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

Well any updates on this situation?

Old 09-18-2013, 08:26 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

Might as well do a SAS, now. Already got the diff out of the way!

And you gotta let us know what happened with the seller.

Old 09-18-2013, 11:35 PM
BF Veteran
DKSDAD is a jewel in the roughDKSDAD is a jewel in the roughDKSDAD is a jewel in the rough

That's some Bull $#!t there, hope it all works out.

Old 09-24-2013, 04:53 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by chris015
im one of the guys that deleted 4x4 to save weight. i know my **** LOL.

So hold on the front diff was missing? Well...if so.. they rarely cause problems. get one from the pick it yard. Just look at the sticker inside the glove box at some 3 digit codes and make sure your axle codes are the same,or you WILL cause damage in 4wd if you dont match the rear with the front. look for g codes,aka gu2,gu3,gu4,etc. google what code u have then find a blazer with the same code. serious man,dont think u can get by with this. it will indeed destroy crap. lol. maker sure its right.

so thats that. now if you dont have the driveshaft for front,no big dead. get one at the yard, wrap the ends with electrical tape to keep the caps from falling off and needle bearing flying everywhere. replacing them sucks *****.

Hopefully i helped any. dont skimp out on 4wd stuffs.
Yep front diff and all. Only thing NOT missing was the t case. I'm new to this world of 4x4 so i'm not too sure on which parts I need to make it 4x4 other than the front diff and t case. I tried searching online and couldnt find anything..

The guy ended up taking off $1500 so that should be enough for the parts to make it 4x4 again.

Any help would be appreciated!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New blazer (story)