Off Roading Got a story about taking your Blazer off the paved roads? This is your section!

Onboard air?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 11:58 AM
Starting Member
blaz is on a distinguished road

Just a FYI.

Pressure vessels are certified and welding one is VERY dangerous. Band clamps with rubber strips would be a far safer way to mount it.

I am currently just running a $40 costco compressor. It works great for up to 31's. I will need something better for my 33's.

Old 03-30-2013, 12:18 PM
Beginning Member
gpgab97 is on a distinguished road

Some blazers did come with onboard air, i saw a few Bravadas and early Trailblazers as well. Like the Aztek, it would have been mounted in the passenger side rear of the cargo hold. You may actually have the "delete" panel from where this connection would have been installed from the factory. I do not yet know what the original PN's were or where you might find them though...

Old 03-30-2013, 04:52 PM
Jamaroon has a spectacular aura aboutJamaroon has a spectacular aura about

I'm also going to be running a little 2 gallon compressor off of my power inverter once it is installed

Old 03-30-2013, 06:46 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

Any idea what year blazers had the compressor? I might go that route if I can find one in decent shape. Although after I come up with a tank, plumbing, and wiring, I might be better off with the viair kit.

Eventually, after my sas I'll need the compressor to be able to air up 33" tires, and an air mattress every now and then. I won't be running any tools off of it.

I really want something "built in". The easiest would be a portable compressor, but with my wife, kid, two dogs, and camping gear, there isn't much room left!

Old 03-30-2013, 07:05 PM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

My 2000 GMC Jimmy Diamond Edition has rear air. It also has rear air suspension and auto level control. The air compressor keeps the air shocks pressurized as needed as well as providing air for accessories. I also purchased a accessory kit from GM that has inflator hose and adapters.

Old 03-30-2013, 11:52 PM
Twip will become famous soon enough

i think that it was 98 and up. not 100% on that though. i did get a set of dealer work manuals and i know that it was in there because i am thinking about doing the same thing...

Old 03-31-2013, 08:48 AM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

Well, you can buy a new factory air compressor from gm parts direct for $409!! The bracket is $130! Definitely a junk yard part. I'm just wondering about the output of the pump. Although an air tank would help it quite a bit, I guess.

Man, I keep eyeing that viair kit. I might have to just get it with my tax refund and beg forgiveness from the wife!

Old 03-31-2013, 03:40 PM
BF Veteran
DKSDAD is a jewel in the roughDKSDAD is a jewel in the roughDKSDAD is a jewel in the rough

I just carry 2 portable compressors that plug into the lighter ports for when I go out on the beach. Its not very fancy but works well and is totally removable in seconds. LOL

Old 04-01-2013, 05:45 PM
Beginning Member
gpgab97 is on a distinguished road

Found a PN for later TrailBlazer,Envoys ect off ebay 25978169
I dunno if it would work any earlier than 2002 though.

Old 04-01-2013, 08:21 PM
okiedoak20 will become famous soon enoughokiedoak20 will become famous soon enough

the 2000 gmc Envoy i have did have on board air, the Cadillacs also have on board air and the pick and pull yards are usually loaded with those,
the only problem with the factory versions that i have been finding is there are wore out, meaning the aluminum piston in the aluminum sleeve
wears out in the pump, im thinking about a 12 volt version from a auto parts store and tap into the existing wiring under the right rear bumper
extension (that is where the origional was mounted) and be back in business,and use the existing hosing also... but the pancake style with the inverter may be the best overall way to go, you will have plenty of air..

Quick Reply: Onboard air?