Off Roading Got a story about taking your Blazer off the paved roads? This is your section!
View Poll Results: A poll
Winch? What is that?
4.19%
Nothing of the sort
35.93%
Electric Winch
40.72%
Hydraulic Winch
0.60%
Come Along
12.57%
High Lift
5.99%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

POLL: Do you have a winch & if so, what kind?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 10:17 AM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Coleman Mason
the main reason i have a hi lift is because its cheep and reliable no wiring no motors cord nothing. I would love an electric winch but it costs way to much and if i stall or break down stuck how do you run the electric winch
it runs off your car battery, but you would need to change your alternator to a higher amperage one. A lot of guys here get an ad244 alt out of bigger gm/chevy vehicles from the junk yard.

Old 12-04-2017, 11:39 AM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

I've been looking for a way to install a hidden front receiver hitch that would hide behind the bumper with a removable or flip down licence plate. This would allow me to bring along a receiver mounted winch that I could use on either the front or back. I would only need to carry the winch now and then (e.g. hunting season).

Anyone have any suggestions?

Old 12-07-2017, 11:57 AM
Rusty Nuts is on a distinguished road

I keep a 2 ton come along, a 20 foot tow rope with hooks and a 20 foot tow strap tucked in the back of my jimmy in case I ever slide off an icy road. I've lost count of how many people I've put back on the road with those 3 items, my truck and some creativity.

Old 12-07-2017, 12:20 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by Rusty Nuts
I keep a 2 ton come along, a 20 foot tow rope with hooks and a 20 foot tow strap tucked in the back of my jimmy in case I ever slide off an icy road. I've lost count of how many people I've put back on the road with those 3 items, my truck and some creativity.
I carry the same items! Although I've never had to rescue anyone, it feels good to be prepared.

I also always carry tire chains for icy roads but also if I have to break trail through un-plowed snow. I learned that they should go on the front. :-)

Old 12-07-2017, 12:22 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by newguy
it runs off your car battery, but you would need to change your alternator to a higher amperage one. A lot of guys here get an ad244 alt out of bigger gm/chevy vehicles from the junk yard.
Good to know about the bigger alternator. I can see how it is still good to have a backup that doesn't need batteries though!

Old 12-07-2017, 03:36 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by christine_208
I've been looking for a way to install a hidden front receiver hitch that would hide behind the bumper with a removable or flip down licence plate. This would allow me to bring along a receiver mounted winch that I could use on either the front or back. I would only need to carry the winch now and then (e.g. hunting season).

Anyone have any suggestions?

Here's one option although not easily removable and no option to move the winch the the rear. I used to run one of these on my blazer before the SFA and I had no complaints about it. https://www.4wdfactory.com/store/pro...nch-Mount.html

For a removable option use this https://www.summitracing.com/parts/c...olet/model/s10 with one of these
Amazon Amazon
This will give you the option to move the winch front to back and remove it all together very easily. Then you get yourself some wire leads one for the front and one to the rear and use these connectors at both ends for quick power hookup
Amazon Amazon

Old 12-08-2017, 11:14 AM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by rexmburns
Here's one option although not easily removable and no option to move the winch the the rear. I used to run one of these on my blazer before the SFA and I had no complaints about it. https://www.4wdfactory.com/store/pro...nch-Mount.html

For a removable option use this https://www.summitracing.com/parts/c...olet/model/s10 with one of these https://www.amazon.com/Removable-Hit.../dp/B000RGW6FE.
This will give you the option to move the winch front to back and remove it all together very easily. Then you get yourself some wire leads one for the front and one to the rear and use these connectors at both ends for quick power hookup https://www.amazon.com/Tuff-Stuff-Wi.../dp/B002CEPI5O.
Thanks for the suggestions.

I found the following link for a custom bracket that I might try to adapt to my non-body-lifted Blazer. Front & Rear Hitches

Old 04-17-2021, 12:22 AM
Beginning Member
2002Blazer4x4 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by 93fullsize
no i have a winch warn 3000 pound works well i have it set up on a plate that has chains on each corner so you can put the tow chains on the frount bumper or the rear and pull people or your self out and it stows in the bac of the blazer esay
hi there I'm looking at doing the similar kind of setup that you have and was curious if you would be able to send me some pictures of what you did with yours please and thank you.

Old 04-17-2021, 02:33 AM
BF Veteran

I've purchased a Bush Winch from Australia. bushwinch.com

With the addition of longer lug nuts with head on them, drums are attached to the wheels so that you can pull yourself forward or backward. You need two and can also get guide plates for the other wheels. I got the bridle kit and ground anchors from them.

These pics are from my first test of the system in the snow. It wasn't the most technical of recoveries but I was able to test everything and it worked. I now know how I'd set it up in other situations.

When I sent the people at Bush Winch the pictures they were a little freaked out because they don't get to see their product used in the snow. LOL

Old 04-17-2021, 12:09 PM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

I had a Warn M12000 for years, but I didn't like how slow it was. I got a killer deal on a used Warn 8274-50 that needed some work, so I rebuilt it, upgraded the motor, and put synthetic line on it, then mounted that on my Blazer and moved the M12000 to my tow rig.

Quick Reply: POLL: Do you have a winch & if so, what kind?