POLL: Do you have a winch & if so, what kind? - Page 8 - Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Off Roading Got a story about taking your Blazer off the paved roads? This is your section!

View Poll Results: A poll
Winch? What is that? 6 4.08%
Nothing of the sort 54 36.73%
Electric Winch 56 38.10%
Hydraulic Winch 1 0.68%
Come Along 20 13.61%
High Lift 10 6.80%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-13-2016, 11:17 AM
BF Veteran

newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coleman Mason View Post
the main reason i have a hi lift is because its cheep and reliable no wiring no motors cord nothing. I would love an electric winch but it costs way to much and if i stall or break down stuck how do you run the electric winch
it runs off your car battery, but you would need to change your alternator to a higher amperage one. A lot of guys here get an ad244 alt out of bigger gm/chevy vehicles from the junk yard.
Old 12-04-2017, 12:39 PM

christine_208 is on a distinguished road

I've been looking for a way to install a hidden front receiver hitch that would hide behind the bumper with a removable or flip down licence plate. This would allow me to bring along a receiver mounted winch that I could use on either the front or back. I would only need to carry the winch now and then (e.g. hunting season).

Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 12-07-2017, 12:57 PM

Rusty Nuts is on a distinguished road

I keep a 2 ton come along, a 20 foot tow rope with hooks and a 20 foot tow strap tucked in the back of my jimmy in case I ever slide off an icy road. I've lost count of how many people I've put back on the road with those 3 items, my truck and some creativity.
Old 12-07-2017, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Nuts View Post
I keep a 2 ton come along, a 20 foot tow rope with hooks and a 20 foot tow strap tucked in the back of my jimmy in case I ever slide off an icy road. I've lost count of how many people I've put back on the road with those 3 items, my truck and some creativity.
I carry the same items! Although I've never had to rescue anyone, it feels good to be prepared.

I also always carry tire chains for icy roads but also if I have to break trail through un-plowed snow. I learned that they should go on the front. :-)
Old 12-07-2017, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy View Post
it runs off your car battery, but you would need to change your alternator to a higher amperage one. A lot of guys here get an ad244 alt out of bigger gm/chevy vehicles from the junk yard.
Good to know about the bigger alternator. I can see how it is still good to have a backup that doesn't need batteries though!
Old 12-07-2017, 04:36 PM

rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by christine_208 View Post
I've been looking for a way to install a hidden front receiver hitch that would hide behind the bumper with a removable or flip down licence plate. This would allow me to bring along a receiver mounted winch that I could use on either the front or back. I would only need to carry the winch now and then (e.g. hunting season).

Anyone have any suggestions?

Here's one option although not easily removable and no option to move the winch the the rear. I used to run one of these on my blazer before the SFA and I had no complaints about it. https://www.4wdfactory.com/store/pro...nch-Mount.html

For a removable option use this https://www.summitracing.com/parts/c...olet/model/s10 with one of these
Amazon Amazon
This will give you the option to move the winch front to back and remove it all together very easily. Then you get yourself some wire leads one for the front and one to the rear and use these connectors at both ends for quick power hookup
Amazon Amazon
Old 12-08-2017, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexmburns View Post
Here's one option although not easily removable and no option to move the winch the the rear. I used to run one of these on my blazer before the SFA and I had no complaints about it. https://www.4wdfactory.com/store/pro...nch-Mount.html

For a removable option use this https://www.summitracing.com/parts/c...olet/model/s10 with one of these https://www.amazon.com/Removable-Hit.../dp/B000RGW6FE.
This will give you the option to move the winch front to back and remove it all together very easily. Then you get yourself some wire leads one for the front and one to the rear and use these connectors at both ends for quick power hookup https://www.amazon.com/Tuff-Stuff-Wi.../dp/B002CEPI5O.
Thanks for the suggestions.

I found the following link for a custom bracket that I might try to adapt to my non-body-lifted Blazer. Front & Rear Hitches