Go Back  Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums > General > Off Roading
Reload this Page >

Question About my 1999 Blazer LT Front Tow Hooks?

Off Roading Got a story about taking your Blazer off the paved roads? This is your section!

Question About my 1999 Blazer LT Front Tow Hooks?

Old 08-30-2009, 04:57 PM
PaulO2288 is on a distinguished road
Default Question About my 1999 Blazer LT Front Tow Hooks?

Alright I tried searching and dident find anything so dont tell me to use the search button. I have a 1999 Blazer LT 4.3 4WD with front tow hooks. My buddies are going off roading and if they possibly get stuck are giong to call me and my buddy and his Jeep Wrangler X. His tow hooks are rated for 7000lbs, anyone know how much mines rated for? I even tried looking in the truck manual and still nothing.

Old 08-30-2009, 05:44 PM
Administrator
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Well, they are not actually tow hooks, they are recovery hooks, which means they are designed for another vehicle to hook onto to pull your stuck truck out of a ditch. Accordingly, they are rated to handle the weight of your Blazer plus a little bit to account for resistance. How's that?
Originally Posted by PaulO2288 View Post
...so dont tell me to use the search button.
or what?
This has actually been discussed before, so a 'search' done correctly would have turned it up. Attititude will only get attitude in return. Please be nice.

Old 08-30-2009, 07:39 PM
PaulO2288 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by rriddle3 View Post
Well, they are not actually tow hooks, they are recovery hooks, which means they are designed for another vehicle to hook onto to pull your stuck truck out of a ditch. Accordingly, they are rated to handle the weight of your Blazer plus a little bit to account for resistance. How's that?

or what?
This has actually been discussed before, so a 'search' done correctly would have turned it up. Attititude will only get attitude in return. Please be nice.
Thanks I appreciate it. No like I dident mean it with an attitude seriously please dont take it that way. I really did search, googled, and looked in my manual and couldent find much and I was waiting for someone to say use the search function when I did. But if I had to use them could i use them to hook up to another truck and help pull them out?

Old 08-30-2009, 07:51 PM
Administrator
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

I would feel better with the idea of getting hooks from a Chevy pick-up (they're stronger) and mounting them to the frame. Take a look at the threads in this link.

Old 08-30-2009, 10:28 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

You REALLY don't want to pull someone out with your tow hooks, regardless of how strong they are. If you are using your hooks that means you are in reverse, not the best thing to be doing.

Old 08-31-2009, 10:37 AM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

If you have a hitch (not a ball on the bumper, you'll just tear your bumper off) I'd use that before recovery hooks, drop it in four low and then pull slow and steady. I really don't think that pulling on something in reverse is a great idea.