Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

tow hooks

Old 07-30-2006, 08:47 PM
BlaZeR FXB1581 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default tow hooks

i guess this is the right area to put this

does anyone have any experience with towing off the back bumper of the blazer? i know that they have a spot for a ball

i don't actually want to use it to tow however, i was wondering more if it is a good idea or not to get some more of the tow hooks (the the ones that pop out of the front bumper) and possibly put it in the spot where the hitch ball would go

any comments? i know that the one time i have gotten stuck i had to get pulled out from behind and the guy put the strap around my leaf springs and i did not feel it was a good idea but there is no where else to attach it

are there any better spots on the back of the blazers to attach the hooks (i could make some money with them because up here at PSU, the rain does not stop the football fans and they all park in fields and the people who drive up the little front will drive accords cant get out of the mud later in the day and people with 4x4 going around charging 10$ to pull them out, i figure putting a tow hook on the back would help with that too)

anything would be awesome

Old 07-31-2006, 03:15 AM
BF Veteran
XBlazer01 has a spectacular aura aboutXBlazer01 has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: tow hooks

If your talking about that small spot like on the bumper honestly i dont think that could handle to much.

For some reason my truck came with an actual hitch! lol

Wanna buy it

Old 07-31-2006, 03:19 AM
flowmasta is an unknown quantity at this point

lol well the cheap way to go would to do something like what ur suggesting but if u wanna have something cool on the back for looks and be great for towing look into a winch....i think blazers can have those installed in the rear that way u have something to help pulling those guys out, and that way u can pull yourself outta jams....u wouldnt need a friend with a truck just tie your winch up to something and let her rip....then again i dont know...lol i havent gotten one yet

Old 07-31-2006, 03:59 AM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point

If you read your operators manual you will see that those hooks are not to be used for towing or pulling, they are just made of pot metal (not strong). If your truck comes with the "step" bumper, it has a location that is plugged that you can iether use a tow ball or add underneath a factory receiver hitch mount. The bumper is rated to 5500lbs towing capacity. Or you could by an aftermarket Class III hitch that mounts to the frame rails....

REMEMBER do not use the front "tow" hooks to tow in the rear.....

Old 07-31-2006, 01:51 PM
BlaZeR FXB1581 is an unknown quantity at this point

first off: i have the step bumper and it clearly says not to tow more than 3500 lbs off of it

and secondly: in the manual it says when using the tow hooks in the front, do not pull from an angle but they are perfectly good from a generally straight on direction

and to clear it up: i do not want a hitch cause i do not plan on towing a trailer, i was asking about it for trail situations with tow hooks

Old 07-31-2006, 02:23 PM
Starting Member
Brian J. Lesko is an unknown quantity at this point

I wouldn't use the bumper to pull anything. You'll rip it off. If you want to pull other trucks out of the mud, you'll need to get an actual hitch that is connected to the frame.