Off Roading Got a story about taking your Blazer off the paved roads? This is your section!

Question about offroading

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 07:20 AM
Starting Member
AllEiz0nMe is on a distinguished road
Default Question about offroading

So a bunch of my friends and I are going offroading in April. They've all got smaller (explorer, wrangler, sonoma) trucks than I do. Normally I am the tow truck. I have the biggest truck and more power than they do. So here's the question...How good are come-alongs? If we were to ever get stuck (most likely we wouldn't but you never know) I'd think that because of the weight of my truck that the smaller trucks wouldn't be too successful in getting us out. I just want to make sure I have something to get us out in case they can not.

Old 03-11-2009, 07:58 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You just have to make sure that you get a come-a-long that is rated for what you are trying to pull. Expect to pull a lot more than the weight of the stuck vehicle when they are truly stuck.

If you can, get a come-a-long that has a pulley with it. You can use it straight for the light pulls, but if the going gets tough, you can double it up to reduce your effort (double the pulling power however you look at it).

You just have to realize that using a come-a-long can be a slow process. You likely will not find one that will be able to do what you want in one pull so you will have to reset and possibly reposition. But they are a cheap alternative to getting yourself a winch.

Old 03-11-2009, 08:08 AM
Starting Member

Thanks! Eventually we'll get a winch. But being a full size blazer and a heck of a lot heavier than everyone else. lol Just want something as a precaution. I was already looking into a bigger lift for her and bigger tires. I swear my husband and I are backwards. lol I want to put all this into my truck and he tells me no. Usually it's the other way around. haha. Anyway He's looking to find a winch used for right now because they are so expensive. So far the highest come along I've seen is 8000 lbs. But I don't think that'd work for my truck.

Old 03-11-2009, 08:11 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

First link that popped up in a google search for "come-along"

http://www.cvfsupplycompany.com/hanpowpulcom.html

The $69.95 Heavy Duty 3-hook Come-Along has a 4-Ton rating. You would be surprised at what that can pull. We use a model very similar to this to pull steering columns in auto extrication (fire department). This model will literally pull the column out of the vehicle.

Old 03-11-2009, 08:14 AM
Starting Member

so a 4 ton would suffice because doubled up would be double the weight? I looked it up also and home depot has a 4 ton. And they're right around the corner.
Oh maybe the one at home depot wouldn't be good. It doesn't say if it is heavy duty. The one you linked to does.

Old 03-11-2009, 08:19 AM
Administrator

Doubling up would make it able to pull the 4-Ton rating. That does not mean that it cannot pull 4-Ton not doubled up, but that all comes down to how strong the person is working the lever. Basically doubling up reduces the effort by 50%. The rating is what the whole winch is rated for.

You want something that is fairly stout in construction.

Old 03-12-2009, 12:19 AM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

A four ton come-along will be plenty to get your rig out. The only question is if you and your wheeling friends have enough "oomph" to get you out...lol

Old 03-12-2009, 12:33 AM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

One of the best and cheapest tools you can use to get unstuck is a high lift jack. When stuck in mud or sand i simply jack up one end of the vehicle as far as I can and then push the whole thing over. Do the same at the other end and your are out of the ruts. It also can be used as a come along / hand winch when equipted with hooks at the ends.

Old 03-12-2009, 06:24 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by AJBert
A four ton come-along will be plenty to get your rig out. The only question is if you and your wheeling friends have enough "oomph" to get you out...lol
lol they better...cause it sure won't be me. Most likely my husband would be the oomph

Old 03-12-2009, 06:45 PM
cr8390 is an unknown quantity at this point

i have one saved my *** many times once when i was stupidly by myself, attach it to a tree and your good or other trucks

Quick Reply: Question about offroading