Off Roading Got a story about taking your Blazer off the paved roads? This is your section!

Rescuing the Sidekick

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 02:26 AM
dax44 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Rescuing the Sidekick

I'm not an off-road guy, but I thought someone might like this.

My son & his friends off-road all the time in their old Sidekick.
He calls me in the middle of the night & gets me out of bed - they're stuck on an island in the middle of the river, it's raining hard and the water is rising. The tow guys wouldn't go near it. They would never have made it.

The worst part was the mile through the bush to get to the river along a real slick muddy trail. I don't own a winch - not good!! Down a steep embankment and across 60 ft. of water. I kept the door open to see when it would come in, but it was just at the running boards. Up the other side, get out and the Sidekick is stuck on top of a big stump surrounded by big river rock. Nothing to get a grip on. So we hook up a tow rope and I can't budge the damn thing. The river rock is just diggin me in deeper. While I'm sitting in the truck trying to figure out what to do next, I see someone light a smoke in the Sidekick. I go over to the truck and it's got4 teenagers sitting inside. What am I doing here?? So I get the kids out of the Sidekick and the truck pops off the log in a second.
The 5 of them could have lifted the truck of the stump themselves, not enough smarts!!
Anyway, I got out before the river was too high and went through the car wash on the way home. The next day at work, one of the guys was talking about a bunch of idiots he could see from his house off-roading on an island in the middle of the river.
Ya, that was me!!

Anyway, always take a winch along.

Doug

Old 12-29-2006, 04:54 AM
BLK85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Rescuing the Sidekick

haha that sucks. Kind of funny too. Glad it worked out for you.

Old 12-29-2006, 09:11 AM
Administrator
m00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond repute

Kids, eh? Sitting in the friggin' Zook the whole time!!!

That makes me get excited for the summer because my girlfriend just bought a 93 kick for $200 and we'll be building it up for wheeling.

Old 12-29-2006, 09:15 AM
DetroitMuscle is an unknown quantity at this point

HAHAHAHA, My dad wouldnt have been so nice if he saw us sitting in the truck while he was trying to dislodge it, your kids got it good,lol.

Old 12-29-2006, 10:53 PM
BF Veteran
user 1016 has a spectacular aura aboutuser 1016 has a spectacular aura about

seeing as my dad is adametly apposed my my off roading adventures....he would not have helped....I would have been on my own in that one......kids these days...sheesh!!!

Old 12-30-2006, 01:24 AM
Administrator
hillbillyinOhio has disabled reputation

i had a buddy in HS that put his bronco in one of our ponds on our property,. fun salvage job there. 30 ft deep. I got to go diving.

Old 12-30-2006, 01:10 PM
a_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud of

dad always tells me if I get stuck I better call a damn tow truck cuz he aint gettin his truck muddy.... then I make fun of him, he paid extra for a 4x4 silverado and extra for z71 suspension and extra for the big v8 and he wont even get it muddy.... what a waste....lol

Old 01-02-2007, 04:43 AM
KFC_Or_Bust is an unknown quantity at this point

Gotta love the rescue from Dad! I've been in a jam a few times where my dad had to come give me or one of my buddies a quick yank out of the mud. Usually the reason was my tires being bald as hell and not exactly the best for mudding so I'd get stuck fairly easy back then.

Old 01-02-2007, 09:15 AM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

My dad usually comes to the rescue when my truck breaks down. Like when my fuel pump decided to die in the middle of a very busy intersection. [X(]

Old 01-02-2007, 04:10 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Awesome story.
I have had a few late night calls, nonefor an off-roading rescue, yet.
They normally go during the day and ask if I want to go along.