Off Roading Got a story about taking your Blazer off the paved roads? This is your section!

Riverside offroading and a winch alternative

Old 10-22-2018, 01:23 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by error_401
Hmm - just thought about old fire hoses.

Got a belt made of an old firehose. Nice material rubberized inside and with a tough material outside.

How much could they widthstand?

Another option would be a set of good chains. I'm just looking into them to get a set of 4 for my Blazer.
If you can get them on they pull you out of nearly anything you got into without as well.

https://www.rud.com/produkte/reifenk...greifsteg.html
Yes, to the chains. I carry a pair for the snow, ice and mud.

Old 10-22-2018, 06:12 PM
Mike.308 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by error_401
Hmm - just thought about old fire hoses.

Got a belt made of an old firehose. Nice material rubberized inside and with a tough material outside.
How much could they withstand?
... to be honest, I've been hoping Kyle will enlighten us in this matter.

I have been browsing YT videos and a mechanical winches draw my attention. Many of the offroad racers use them, and they are insanely fast. How they do it in Poland:

Old 10-23-2018, 11:24 AM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Damn Mike, That looks like some crazy fun racing. Are they amateurs, not professionals? If I were to do such racing, the truck would have to be an extra that is expendable as I don't think one would last long.

Any Blazers in those races??? :-)

Old 10-23-2018, 12:01 PM
Mike.308 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by christine_208
Damn Mike, That looks like some crazy fun racing. Are they amateurs, not professionals? If I were to do such racing, the truck would have to be an extra that is expendable as I don't think one would last long.

Any Blazers in those races??? :-)
Vast part of them are hobbyists. As far as I know, they do family or friend teams. There are three competition classes - tourists, crossing and extreme. A tourist class is very light (in sense of terrain difficulty) - a friend of mine mocks, that I could take compact 4x4 of my wife to participate. The crossing are modified off road trucks. The extreme are custom projects and builds, often called "zmota" or "grat" in the slang. They are build only for the races, can't drive public roads at all.

The goal is to follow the track and collect stamps. Stamps are here and there bonded to the terrain, while Your scoring card is bonded to a vehicle. The more You get, the more score You get. This race takes place three onward days. So, as soon as they end the day, they may either go relax or make fixes to be ready for a next days.

Yeah, the magic word "extra expendable". Recently I am looking for a such one. A part of the off-roading hobby are the fixes and repairs You do daily (well.. except the body work I guess). Blazers are rarity in Poland and so are spare parts. So far I haven't seen a video with an off-roading Blazer in here. Looking through the vehicles on these videos gives a clue what these people ride. For these ones, You'll get the parts easy way.

Last edited by Mike.308; 10-23-2018 at 12:03 PM.
Old 10-24-2018, 06:39 PM
N. Jensen is on a distinguished road

Wow, yeah, that looks fun!

Reminds me of a tv show on the History channel called 'Truck Night in America'.

Old 11-02-2018, 08:33 PM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road

Loved that show! Hope they come out with more... that one chick with the pathfinder, stabbed the tire to release the tire pressure in the swamp lol

Old 11-02-2018, 09:13 PM
N. Jensen is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by DonL
Loved that show! Hope they come out with more... that one chick with the pathfinder, stabbed the tire to release the tire pressure in the swamp lol
She didn't have a winch or come-along. lol Last ditch effort to get out of that swampy creek bed.
Ten grand is all they win on the show. Surely these fine folks have well more than 10 G's in most of their trucks/suvs? I wonder what goes on behind scenes..