Off Roading Got a story about taking your Blazer off the paved roads? This is your section!

Winch Mount?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 01:30 PM
Old Skool Soldier is on a distinguished road
Default Winch Mount?

Hey all, OSS here;

I was in the process of ordering a Synergy winch mount, but a week after I bought it, he emailed me and told me Off-road direct is no longer making them at this time. I just picked up a winch too. I don't have access to a welder so I can't make one...Any ideas?

-OSS

Old 06-10-2012, 02:11 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

you cant put one on that bumper you have. looks like its set up for one perfect for one.

Old 06-10-2012, 02:21 PM
50lb_cat will become famous soon enough

Find a local machine shop and see if they can make one for you. From time to time I get small requests like that. The last one I did I charged the guy 40 bucks, for 10 bucks of material and a half hour of my time.

Old 06-10-2012, 05:01 PM
Starting Member
blaz is on a distinguished road

Everything that is welded on that mount could be bolted together instead. Will it take longer? Yes. Can it be done? Yes.

Time is money so it may be worth while paying someone to weld it. Also if you have all the parts cut and fitted it will cost you way less @ a fabricator/welder.

Old 06-10-2012, 05:32 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

Here we have technical schools with welding shops in them. I know the one I went to does a lot of customer welding, fabrication etc & all they charge for are materials & a small shop charge for gasses, welding consumables etc. It is afterall helping teach the student/s working on whatever different ways of welding, fabricating something that isn't in a perfect atmosphere like they're in, more a real world thing. All the work is checked by the instructor &/or an advanced student.

Last edited by Rottidog; 06-10-2012 at 05:38 PM.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:07 PM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

Lucky us ORD got overloaded with s-series products so instead of growing to meet demand they dropped us.

If I had a 2nd gen it wouldn't take 15 minutes to design a plate that bolts to the bottom of the frame rails. I'd mail you the paper template to carry to a machine shop and have them plasma torch it out. Shouldn't be over $20 material (local shop that would be total). I've found out its cheaper for me to design in cardboard and let them cut it on the cnc plasma table vs me buying steel and freehanding it with a torch. I can even ask them to bevel it and its ready to be welded after a quick sandblast.

Old 06-10-2012, 09:38 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

That's cool & the bevel tells me they care about proper welding techniques - weld shape, penetration, cap etc. A bevel for 1/4 is small though depending on the weld style TIG vs MIG. A larger bevel or any at all would be for TIG, with MIG a 1/16" gap is all that's needed for a decent welder with even solid wire .035 - .045 & the right shielding gas & position. MIG set up with a Lincoln Outer Shield style (tube like a flux core but not flux core) with the right gas will weld circles around a solid wire (think 70,000lbs tensile strength). Though a solid wire will be fine for 1/4" expecially if it's welded both sides.

Old 06-13-2012, 02:33 PM
Old Skool Soldier is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by abig84
you cant put one on that bumper you have. looks like its set up for one perfect for one.
Only problem with my bushguard, is I've pulled a few people out with it, so it doesnt sit flush anymore. I'd be afraid of it bending or something, even though she's bolted to the frame. If anyone has the skills and knowledge to design a mount for me, don't hesitate! I can paypal some dollars for the shipping of the template. My gf's sister lives in Calgary as an apprentice welder, she could do the work for me

-OSS

Old 06-13-2012, 03:04 PM
50lb_cat will become famous soon enough

What winch do you have and where are you wanting to mount it?

Old 06-13-2012, 06:30 PM
PaulO2288 is on a distinguished road

I would ditch the brush guard, Get a front hitch and get a cradle mount for the hitch and you can slide it into the receiver with a hitch pin, Plug it in and rock and roll when you want

Quick Reply: Winch Mount?