Off Roading Got a story about taking your Blazer off the paved roads? This is your section!

Rough Country 6" Lift

Old 01-09-2019, 07:25 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Hess13x
I'm really having a hard time not dropping a grand for a 6" lift after seeing how yours turned out! Love the look of the boggers! I have 35" ssr's on my 82 suburban.
Total out the door for everything was around $2600. Lift, rims, tires, plus all the little extras that come up *cough* jb weld *cough*

How do you like the SSRs?

Old 01-09-2019, 07:47 PM
Hess13x is on a distinguished road

The ssr's are a great tire. They have held up well to the heavy suburban.

Old 01-10-2019, 06:19 PM
BF Veteran

Just got back from the alignment shop. Truck drives great, but man, those boggers are loud! Nothing I can't live with, though.

I did just a tiny bit of trimming. Basically cut off the sharp corners of the fenders. The only spot I'm halfway worried about rubbing is the rear of the front fenders, and almost full lock. And speaking of lock, there is absolutely zero rubbing on either the frame or sway bar at full lock. There's a couple inches to spare, actually. Don't know if the stock 6" backspacing would have worked, but 4.5" is definitely enough.

Old 01-11-2019, 10:43 PM

My 31/10.50 on stock wheels rub on the frame and sway bar at full lock. I would think that the 33/10.50 would be the same and the boggers with there lugs would really rub hard.

Old 01-11-2019, 11:49 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by Hess13x
My 31/10.50 on stock wheels rub on the frame and sway bar at full lock. I would think that the 33/10.50 would be the same and the boggers with there lugs would really rub hard.
It's the stock wheels making them rub. Stock backspacing is 6". My rims are 4.5", so the tires are moved out 1.5". A 10.50" tire was only like 1" wider than the factory 235s.

Its really noticeable on the tire carrier. Stock 235/75-15, the tire sidewall is up against the tube. My new wheel and tire combo has about an inch space between the sidewall and carrier

Old 01-19-2019, 01:46 PM
BF Veteran

So, I've got a couple hundred miles on the truck, now, so I'll give my review.

Let me start off by saying that I have an extremely high tolerance for pos vehicles! Grew up poor, my parents had old (60s and 70s era cars) cars, no ac, etc. So keep that in mind.

The truck is plenty drivable. If my daily broke down, I wouldn't hesitate to drive the Blazer until it was fixed. At in town speeds, it has a slight pull to the right, and a tendency to wander at bit. At highway speeds, it seems to tighten up, the pull is gone, and it drives straight and solid.

The tires are loud. Like, really loud. And bumpy. Like you're driving on a cobblestone road lol.

Not sure if it's the lift, or the tires, but the thing rides really rough. Haven't drove it more than an hour at a time, and it wasn't bad, not sure how a longer trip would feel.

So, if this were my daily driver, would I have done it? Probably not. The lift, maybe, but I would have definitely chosen some less aggressive tires.

Almost forgot, gas mileage. Filled up yesterday, I calculated 11mpg. Keep in mind, the speedo and odo are off, I actually drove more miles than it showed. But just guessing off how fast it went through the tank, I'm gonna say it's probably around the 12-14 mpg range.

A regear would most likely help. 4.30:1 would be perfect, but they don't make it for the front, so I'll eventually go with 4.56:1.

I would NOT suggest going with a 33" tire with anything less than 3.73 gears. It would be bad with 3.42, and a freaking slug with 3.08s

​​​

Old 01-19-2019, 07:02 PM

That's a fair review I would say. With the snow we have been getting here, I wish I had your lift and tires! My previous trucks were all lifted full size square body Chevy's. So even with the torsion bars cranked up on my jimmy I don't think it rides terrible. I'm about to start the process of mounting a few different size tires and see what I can make fit.

Old 02-20-2019, 06:24 PM
BF Veteran

So, a small update. After having the diff out to reseal my little Sawzall mishap, I decided to turn my t bars down just a smidgen. The ride was way too rough, and the cv shafts were at a pretty severe angle. Plus, I had almost no suspension droop.

So, the ride is better, and I've got a little more down travel. But the front tires rub, now. Only when the wheel is turned, and I hit a hard bump. I did some light* trimming on the backs of the front fenders, and most of the rubbing is gone, but there's still a little there. Gonna do some more and see if I can get rid of it.

*light to me, anyway. Don't forget, I paid $400 for this truck, and only druve it for fun. Your tolerance for trimming may vary

Old 02-20-2019, 07:10 PM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road

Any damage to the tire?

Old 02-20-2019, 07:11 PM

Your tolerance for trimming may vary lol I like that. I haven't done any trimming on mine yet. I will be getting bigger tires in next couple weeks. I also picked up a set of 2wd s10 rims to mount the tires on so I may end up doing some trimming.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rough Country 6" Lift