Off Roading Got a story about taking your Blazer off the paved roads? This is your section!

RWD Off roading?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 01:06 AM
ZaBlazer99 is on a distinguished road

I saw this and started reading because i only gots a 2wd and now im wondering. Exactly how much is a locker?

Old 09-07-2012, 11:18 AM
FsTFwRd is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by ZaBlazer99
I saw this and started reading because i only gots a 2wd and now im wondering. Exactly how much is a locker?
Well, you may already have one. There is a sticker in your glove box, if you open it and look there are a bunch of numbers usually lead by a letter. Example: A23 J40 C67. All these numbers mean something. If one is G80, then you already have a locker. You may already know this information.

Old 09-07-2012, 11:38 AM

Actually i didnt know that! Thanks buddy. When im out of class i will check for that code.

Old 09-07-2012, 12:33 PM
Jamaroon has a spectacular aura aboutJamaroon has a spectacular aura about

G80 is crap though, upgrade to a real one, they are around the $500 mark then probably about another $500 for the install.

Old 09-07-2012, 01:49 PM

Well i got a shop that i used to work at so they get me parts and work for cheap so hopefully i have one already and ill be able to upgrade it down the line. Im not really planniing on wheelin hard but some of my camp grounds are back in the sticks...well sticks in az in just dead trees but you get what i mean

Old 09-07-2012, 03:28 PM
FsTFwRd is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by ZaBlazer99
Actually i didnt know that! Thanks buddy. When im out of class i will check for that code.
Anytime man, I wish mine had it. I have a family member who owns an auto recycling yard and he's going to let me know when a ZR2 comes in. I want the rear diff and maybe the front as well depending on what the ratio is. He had a G80 on a S-10 about a month ago but the gears were lower and the front end was in pieces, plus it had drums and I have discs. Didn't really want to mess with all that.

G80 is crap though, upgrade to a real one, they are around the $500 mark then probably about another $500 for the install.
My wife's burban has a G80, with 172K it works like a champ. If you care for them right I think they're fine as long as you don't abuse em.

Last edited by FsTFwRd; 09-07-2012 at 03:31 PM.
Old 09-07-2012, 03:35 PM

Bummer i dont got the code for it. O well junk yard time i guess haha

Old 09-07-2012, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by FsTFwRd
My wife's burban has a G80, with 172K it works like a champ. If you care for them right I think they're fine as long as you don't abuse em.
My G80 worked like it's supposed to as well. It's great for street driving when you need some extra traction in the snow or rain, but for off-roading they suck. They NEED wheel spin to engage, that right there can cause problems. Too much wheel spin and it won't engage either, it can be tricky to get it to engage when you need it too.

I always thought the G80 wasn't that bad when that's all that I had experience with, but after I upgraded to the Auburn ECTED, I quickly realised how limited you are with the G80. Even the limited slip portion of the Auburn is way better than the G80 was, mainly for the fact it starts off with putting the same power to both wheels until there is a reason for it to slip.

If you want to off-road with a 2wd, I would not rely on the G80.

Old 09-07-2012, 03:50 PM

Alrighty. Do you have any recomendations then?

Old 09-07-2012, 09:04 PM

Personally I like selectable lockers, but I don't know that any are available for your axle.

Do some research and see what you like.

I like using 4wheelparts to get an idea of what's available. I'm sure they don't have everything but it's a start.

Axle Builder - Build your Axle by Choosing your Vehicle for Axle Type using our Online Axle Builder

Something like the Detroit Locker or Lock Right Locker would be good if you can't get a selectable.

The lock right would be an easier install since you don't have to mess with the gears

Quick Reply: RWD Off roading?