Off Roading Got a story about taking your Blazer off the paved roads? This is your section!

What can I do to my 2wd to handle offroading better?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 10:38 PM
fortmyerspolice is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What can I do to my 2wd to handle offroading better?

I daily drive it but sometimes I go on trails with it through rocky hills and sugarsand. I know I should of gotten a 4wd but it's too late now. What can I do to make it a little more useful in getting through tough spots of excessive sugarsand? I got stuck once in sugarsand, which is why I'm making this post.

BTW it's an 01 blazer with 80000 miles on it.

Last edited by fortmyerspolice; 05-05-2009 at 10:42 PM.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:21 PM
GMJimmy is on a distinguished road

Your tires will make a significant difference, and if sand is your main concern, then you can still get a good set of daily drivers that will perform well for the stuff you want to do.

http://www.stripersonline.com/surfta...d.php?t=488616

Best of luck

Last edited by GMJimmy; 05-25-2009 at 04:18 PM.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:24 AM
boomtruck97 is an unknown quantity at this point

add in a phantom grip locker in your rear diff, its basically 2 plates with a set of hardcore springs in the middle that turns ur 2wd open diff into a Limited Slip diff - in other words, 2 tires will power you and spin versus the current one wheel wonder you have.

or if your cheap just weld the diff - that works but i dont personally recomend that.

Old 05-06-2009, 06:55 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

x2 on both accounts. Tires and getting the power to all driven wheels will maximize the potential of your truck.

A phantom grip (if even available for the 7.625" rear end) may work well for sand, but if screwing around on rocks where one wheel may have a ton more traction than the other, you will want an actual locker. A drop in "lunch box" locker will definitively lock both your wheels together, but they do have downsides.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:06 AM

Thanks guys. I don't see anything on the phantom grip website for a 10 bolt. Anyone have any other suggestions?

Old 05-06-2009, 07:20 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Check out SummitRacing.com for the lunch box style locker by Powertrax.

Old 05-06-2009, 04:54 PM

What are the downsides of using the powertrax locker besides screeching tires on every turn

Old 05-06-2009, 05:04 PM
oisinirish is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fortmyerspolice
What are the downsides of using the powertrax locker besides screeching tires on every turn

I thought the powertrax locker released during normal driving?

Old 05-06-2009, 06:11 PM
Administrator

Not necessarily releasing during normal driving, but rather unlocking when not under power. I have used them in the past and they were a bit different to get used to. By far the best way to turn is while coasting. They may have improved over the years though.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:40 PM
Starting Member
blazen99 is on a distinguished road

i heard u can pressure ur E brake down a few clicks till it gets enough pressure and locks in your non drive wheel in

Quick Reply: What can I do to my 2wd to handle offroading better?