Off Roading Got a story about taking your Blazer off the paved roads? This is your section!

What do I need to start off roading?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 11:10 AM
959900s10blazer is on a distinguished road
Default What do I need to start off roading?

I have a complete stock 2000 blazer LT, and wanted to know what I needed to do to make it work more efficiently on the trails. Not going in too much mud (maybe will cover half of the 15 inch rim) mostly climbing and such. I don't want it to be just a trail rig however. I want it to be both my everyday and a decent trail rig I can safely rely on. What should I do or need to do to make it better? A 2.5 inch suspension and 2 inch body lift is already planned to squeeze 32's under it, but what else is needed? Thanks in advance!

Old 07-29-2017, 03:06 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

get 31s on it and a winch or at least get a come a long.

Old 07-29-2017, 09:53 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

If you don't have the GovLoc in the rear end, get a locker for the rear. Skid plates are great to have but not an absolute must. As mentioned, a winch or come a long. To go with that, recovery points front and rear.

Old 07-30-2017, 05:49 AM
error_401 is on a distinguished road

If differentials have vent hoses make sure they are intact and locate them high enough in the wheel wells.

When on the trails I used to have a strap capable of 5 tons towing force already hooked up on the tow hooks and slung over the rear spare wheel carrier or around the edges on the front bumper. Comes in handy when stuck not to have to fumble under the bumper.

When doing mud - after the mud ride I used to flush my brakes very good with a hose, if scratching noisy take them apart. (This was for a daily drive seldomly used off-roads.) If doing just off-road disregard, keep going and check wear on the brakes in short intervals.

ABS is a PITA in off-road.

A bucket of underfloor protector for the frame once you hit a bump

This is the nicest thing about the 1st gen S10 (don't know the 2nd gen) Nothing protrudes below the frame between the axles. As long as it is not rocks but ridges you take across nothing will hit susceptible parts. Mine s'got aluminium skid plates - definitively a good addition.

Old 07-31-2017, 12:08 PM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

Tow strap and a buddy are pretty essential for any off-roading. If you don't have a buddy, then at the very least you should have a winch. You need a method to rescue yourself if you get stuck, and that goes the same whether you're rock crawling, or mudding. Anywhere off the beaten track you should have a way to rescue yourself.