Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

"Legal" concerns about additional lights

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 12:45 AM
jug
jug is an unknown quantity at this point
Default "Legal" concerns about additional lights

I worked at an all night gas station a few years ago and a lot of truckers would hang out an BS. They'd always say the big rigs you see going down the road decorated with all the unneceissary lights present a problem to the driver because if just one of those lights burnt out, they could get pulled over and fined for it.

I was considering getting a row of orange lights along my roof, just above my windshield when I remembered this. Anyone here have lights like I'm talking about? If so, have you ever gotten in trouble for one being burnt out? It seems rediculous to me, since you usually get nothing more than a warning for a burnt out tail light.

Old 10-23-2007, 01:06 AM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future
Default RE: "Legal" concerns about additional lights

are you talking about the lights that are on the top of like super dutys or like a big dodge 3500? i dont see why they would give you a ticket for that. however i figured those would use leds which, more than likely, will never stop working

Old 10-23-2007, 01:09 AM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road

just check with your local police yes i know not everyone likes them but ask one if you get the chance or your d.o.t. for state regulations just to be on the safe side of the law for extra non factory lighting some states don't allow it unless its factory in your application

Old 10-23-2007, 01:22 AM
jug

ORIGINAL: otnietdehoooo

are you talking about the lights that are on the top of like super dutys or like a big dodge 3500? i dont see why they would give you a ticket for that. however i figured those would use leds which, more than likely, will never stop working
Yeah similar to the ones on the Super Duty's. I wouldn;t have any idea if they're LED or not, but if they are and what you explained is the case, that'd be great. I'll be looking further into once I replace my exaust this month.

And gr8t1, not to shoot your suggestion down, but I think if a young long haired mountaineer like myself stopped in the local police barricks to ask them a question like that, they'd laugh me out of the place! Cops around this area are like that. Thanks for the replies guys.

Old 10-23-2007, 01:41 AM
BF Veteran

oh didn't know but you can still call the D.O.T. and find out they wont laugh at you with long hair and being a mountain man my honest opinion is no they arent but then again the D.O.T changes rules all the time

Old 10-23-2007, 01:54 AM
jug

Haha, it's all good man. I'll probably just swing by a local garage and ask them if they'd know anything about that. I was really just curious if anyone had been pulled over for burnt out lights like these, but if they truly never burn out, I won't have anything to worry about. Thanks again.

Old 10-23-2007, 01:57 AM
BF Veteran

if there led's they last forever so spend a lil extra cash for those and hope to see a picture when you do your mod good luck

Old 10-23-2007, 07:04 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Roof market lights should be no problem when it comes to local and state regs. Its when you get into auxilliary driving/fog lights that some state and local regulations get a bit murky.

Old 10-23-2007, 07:39 AM
Starting Member
agent305 is an unknown quantity at this point

the roof lights, or cab lights, there is like 5 of them?
they are not against the law, well...in massachusetts anyways..
we do them all the time and if you do get them you def should get the led ones they look so much better.
you can even get clear ones with the amber led's if you wanna

Old 10-23-2007, 02:42 PM
Mr Blazer LT is an unknown quantity at this point

I can't imagine you getting in trouble for a burnt out roof light. And ifthe copslaugh at you, then that sounds like they won't pull you over for it. Even if they did pull you over they will most likely rip up the ticket when you replace it like a brake light or headlamp.

Quick Reply: "Legal" concerns about additional lights