Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

"Legal" concerns about additional lights

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 08:23 PM
Banned
Spectreblazer is on a distinguished road

Hey guys thinkin of adding these marker lights. dont really want to do it myself but autobody shop said it would take 8 hrs and $400 to install. which i believe is a bunch of bs. removing the headliner would be the worst part. found this link for them. says it comes with a harness. check it out. let me know what u think and if someone has added these lights/or anyother marker lights put some pics up please.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/Chevrolet-S...-600002879.jcw

also wondering (i have the temp console on the headliner) is there a way to splice into the temp reading to use as a power source for the lights

thanks everybody for the great advice.JK
i went ahead and bought the lights from advance auto should have pics up when done so if anybody else wants to do it or would be interested in me doing a write up. if the moderators here ever let be post a new thread. either email me at oldsalero00@hotmail.com
or pm me

here it is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQi7jzXAkFg

Last edited by TripleBlackBlazer; 11-01-2009 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Combining consecutive posts
Old 10-20-2009, 12:24 AM
Starting Member
Buck731 is on a distinguished road

I have a Lund Lighted Moonvison (same concept as clearance lights) on my 2000... I had the bulb smack in the middle go out and never had any problems from an LEO (law enforcment officer). But it may vary upon your local laws.

Old 10-20-2009, 12:31 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Spectreblazer
also wondering (i have the temp console on the headliner) is there a way to splice into the temp reading to use as a power source for the lights
why the hell would you do that? just run a wire up from the HL switch so they come on with your lights, not your ignition.
i know it's been awile since you last posted on this, i hope you never wired them in how you posted here.

Old 10-20-2009, 07:33 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Well there is the dimmer wire going up to the overhead console. If you splice into that wire, the roof lights would come on whenever your clearance lights are on. They also may dim when you dim down your interior lights...

It would just be easier to run a wire up from under the dash for the application though.

Old 10-20-2009, 10:06 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by old skool luvr
why the hell would you do that? just run a wire up from the HL switch so they come on with your lights, not your ignition.
i know it's been awile since you last posted on this, i hope you never wired them in how you posted here.
it would be alot easier instead of tearin part of the dash apart and a pillar which i ended up doin. i ran it down and tied into the auto lights and the parking lamps so i can either turn them on with the switch or they automatically come on with the autos. next project is getting them to flash with the hazards for farm work...

Old 10-23-2009, 12:00 PM
Monkeyman is on a distinguished road

If you're driving a semi (which falls under much different regulations than a passenger vehicle), you can be fined for having a single "chicken" (extra running) light out. Other than the states that have an inspection (we don't in Indiana ), it won't matter a bit. If you have a bunch of lights out in various places, you might get pulled over and checked out, but it's unlikely you'd get in any kind of trouble over it. My '96 Jimmy (RIP) had a lighted Lund visor. I had a couple lights out most of the time (bought it used and beat up) and never got stopped.

Old 11-01-2009, 06:03 PM
Banned

yea on a semi u might get pulled over but i dont think u would for havin them on a mean lookin blazer

Old 11-01-2009, 09:02 PM
LuvMyTJ is on a distinguished road

In NY, if the light came from the factory, it has to work for inspections. Doubtful you would ever get any attention from LEO's from adding lights. Trucks that come with clearance lights, some have them for a reason. They fall into a category that requires them. It involves trucks with a width wider than 80 inches. The three lamps in the center of the cab are ID lights and are used to identify a vehicle over 80 inches in width. The 2 lamps mounted on the sides of the cab roof are called clearance lamps so a driver or spotter can clearly see the width and height of the cab.

Old 11-03-2009, 08:40 PM
nyzr21019 is on a distinguished road

i would check your local laws out

Old 11-07-2009, 12:04 AM
Starting Member
degaine_designs is on a distinguished road

All I can say is that laws for big rigs don't necessarily apply to passenger vehicles. Check your local laws. You may be able to find something on the DMV's website.