Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

"Legal" concerns about additional lights

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 07:01 PM
Idriveachevy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: "Legal" concerns about additional lights

My dads f-350 has the clearance lights on them, he has smoked lenses with amber LED's, they look really good and i wanna do them to my blazer. Its not a problem if the lights are amber white or red, its colored lights that get you in trouble in CT.

Old 10-24-2007, 07:23 PM
blznlowxtreme is an unknown quantity at this point

i think you will be fine. it is usually the different color lights when you start getting in trouble

Old 10-25-2007, 12:53 PM
jug
jug is an unknown quantity at this point

I was planning on putting orange ones on.

Old 10-25-2007, 02:30 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Chris, remember that highway rules regarding commercial vehicles can be quite different form the rules for private vehicles. Since orange clearance lights are a factory option on some 3/4 and 1 ton pick-ups they are legal in all 50 states and since they are not considered a visual lighting aid I doubt that a burned out lamp is going to be an issue on private vehicles. Like those lighting strips you can put under your tailgate and hook to the brake lights and turn signals that are exempt from regs.

Old 10-25-2007, 07:04 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

As long as the ones facing forward are amber/orange, I doubt you'll ever have an issue with them...

Old 10-26-2007, 09:12 PM
davtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant future

My dads f-350 has the clearance lights on them, he has smoked lenses with amber LED's, they look really good and i wanna do them to my blazer. Its not a problem if the lights are amber white or red, its colored lights that get you in trouble in CT.
What part of CT you from. I'm in plainville. I was looking into doing this too, only along the bottom lip of my front bumper and wire them into the blinkers like the tailgate led bar I have.

Old 10-30-2007, 10:21 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

The problem with the truckers is that they have to have a certain number of clearnance lights in the right locations, so if one burnt out on a truck and it took him below the required number, I could see him getting a citation. As for the average driver, I imagine clearance lights are up to you to maintain.

But it's always a safe bet to check with your highway patrol/dot. I researched NC lighting laws when I was putting up auxillary lights and found a few interesting things. "Legally" I can only use at most 2 if the road is not "sufficiently lit" by street lights, and I have to deflect them or turn em off when a car approaches. Each state is different, so make sure you check em out.

Old 08-22-2009, 10:01 PM
Banned
Spectreblazer is on a distinguished road
Default installing?

I know this is an old post but does anyone know if there ever was a right up and some sort of kit for the blazer to do this. Even if there wasnt a kit but some sort of wiring harness would be nice. let me know if you guys know anything.
thanks

Old 08-23-2009, 12:29 AM
packofqtips is an unknown quantity at this point

i do know if you add lights, they have to work, and you can fail inspection if they do not work
at least that is how it is here in mass

Old 08-26-2009, 08:17 PM
Banned
Spectreblazer is on a distinguished road

Here in MI we dont have have to pass emissions or anything for vehicles it rocks

Quick Reply: "Legal" concerns about additional lights