Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

1st gen side glass panel mod

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 08:19 PM
Beginning Member
toolshed59 is on a distinguished road
Default 1st gen side glass panel mod

Hey guys, I'm wanting to remove the side glass off my 89 blazer and replace it with some kind of panel. I was thinking about a fiberglass panel molded from the glass itself to keep the look as close as possible to what its supposed to look like. Has anyone done this, or something similar? I'm trying to get some pointers on where to even begin. Any input is appriciated

Old 02-16-2013, 11:01 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

I can honestly say I have never heard or seen this done. I think you would have a better bet using steel. stronger, and would hold up better, But then again, like I said, never heard or seen this done. Why would you want to do this?

Old 02-17-2013, 07:21 AM
Beginning Member

I'm going for the old panel wagon look. I've seen it done, but could never find any info on it. Metal is the obvious choice, but I'm no fabricator, and to get the exact contour of the window would be a headache and a half in my little garage.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:05 AM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by toolshed59
I'm going for the old panel wagon look. I've seen it done, but could never find any info on it. Metal is the obvious choice, but I'm no fabricator, and to get the exact contour of the window would be a headache and a half in my little garage.
use fiberglass than, but for that large of an area, I would not.
its easier to get metal smooth and ready for paint than fiber glass, you will be fighting it tooth and nail to get it to not look like an ocean when you look down the side.
and besides, the first gens do not have much contour to the side glass.

Old 02-21-2013, 06:49 AM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

You gonna have problems no matter what you use. The roof and sides are 2 different panels and the flex slightly different, the glue in the glass has just enough give to allow this. Add to it a panel that big will have its own flex. If you try to use fiberglass i give it about a year if its driven and it will be cracked out. Even if you use steel unless you're good enough to get it welded in without using any filler its gonna shadow crack around the edges.

Shaving the side glass on suvs and ex cab side glass was common when I first got into mini trucking. It looks and works great on a show queen. There is a reason you dont see it done much anymore, even in a world where everything shaved is better.

Only guy I knew that had done it lately had to fix his once a year with metal welded in. He wound up just keeping his blazer in flat white so it was easier for him to cover up the bondo. He was over on blazinlow forums but he hasn't logged in for over 2 years and all his pics are red x now.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:21 AM
BF Veteran

yikes, good points there.

Old 02-22-2013, 01:48 PM
Beginning Member

I believe I've seen that truck. "ice" on the side, right? I had hoped to talk to him about it, but you've given me the info I wanted. Based on what I've seen so far, I need to 1) become an exceptional welder, 2) use my degree in advanced rocket surgery from Coney island community college to design an expoxy that will hold as well as a weld while allowing the pannel to flex or 3) just put the damn window back in and deal with it. Thanks a lot for your guys input. I'd still like to do it, so if you can think of any suggestions I'm all ears. Thanks again

Old 02-25-2013, 06:27 AM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

That was the one, small world.

Sorry but on a daily its just not worth in imho. If there is anything I find I'll try to pass it on.