Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

74 K5 Doors

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 07:41 AM
fouronereason is on a distinguished road
Default 74 K5 Doors

Does anyone know where i can buy door shells for a 74. Seems like everyone has up to 72 and 76-91. LMC, Classic ind,Car parts wholesale, nobody has em, i would just buy patch panels but by the time i pay someone to do it, might as well bought a door. Any help would be great!!!!

Old 09-06-2009, 09:27 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You have to cut down the full frame doors to work. Add in the few reinforcing brackets used and drill some extra holes. I'll be doing this with my '90 Suburban doors for use on my '74. I will be picking up another '74 for parts and using the brackets from those doors so I do not have to be door-less during this time. The first bracket is under the plate on top of the rear of the door. It is what the plate screws down to. Then the other bracket is on the rear window track. You have to cut down the rear window track from a full frame door, remove it's bracket, then add the bracket from the convertible door.

I have already had to do the conversion of the rear window track on my passenger door as I had my rear window track break and just happened to have a full frame rear window track on the bench in my garage... I did not take any pictures though.

Old 09-06-2009, 11:29 AM

thanks for the reply, sounds like alot of work, hope all goes well with yours. So its just drilling and bolting. sound easy enough. I will get a better look at it when i finally get home from Iraq, as this is my first K5

Old 09-06-2009, 04:18 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

There is some welding involved. Other than that, it is not too awful bad. When I do my spare doors, I will document it quite well.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:55 AM

Some photos or something would be great, thanks alot

Old 03-23-2010, 07:20 AM
Administrator

Just to put some pictures in this thread and refresh it in my subscriptions...

Here are some pictures of the stock doors and the parts I was talking about: