Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Aftermarket Sunroof

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 10:52 AM
mykeboy01 is on a distinguished road
Default Aftermarket Sunroof

Truck just hit 112k, and its been too long since my last project! Ram bar was refinished, rust was treated, and the door was removed and beat into submission! I WANT A SUNROOF!!!

I will be using a CRL Newport Pop-up. (had one before, and it was pretty mint).

Question to the Forum: How big can I go? Has anyone else put an aftermarket sunroof in their truck? AND if so, how big did you go?

NP1432B5H - CRL/SFC 14" x 32" NewPort Sunroof With Universal Trim Ring - Solar High Performance Glass
(^^^ This one was in my 98' when I bought it...had it for 7 years with no leaks!)

I want bigger! I am also willing to notch my B-frame slightly to make a fit. I just need some encouragement from someone before taking the plunge! I am a master cutter, but a horrible welder!!!

NP1636B5H - CRL/SFC 16" x 36" NewPort Sunroof with Universal Trim Ring - Solar High Performance Glass

I have friends in a body shop who will help me if I plunge too deep. Ive put one in my brothers car before in an afternoon, but I think I am gun-shy, because it is my baby under the knife

Old 02-07-2013, 02:23 PM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

Get a tape measure and measure the flat spot on the roof. Personally I'd subtract 2 inches from the edges so you keep it the seal on the flat. Make a cardboard template of the size you think you can fit. Take that template and try to hold it up inside where its gotta be to make sure its in the flat of the headliner (unless you plan on custom liner). After that remove the headliner and again hold it up where its supposed to be to see how many supports have to be removed/moded/or added.

Imho large holes in the roof are only good for 2 things. 1. removing structural reinforcement 2. Leaks
Its your truck and good luck. If you park it and only use it now and then I hope it covered. Nothing like opening the door to a stale moldy interior with rusted floors.

Old 02-07-2013, 03:40 PM
rexazz2 will become famous soon enough

I hate sun roofs
They usually start leaking eventually and on a really sunny day your pumkin gets roasted

When you look for one make sure it has quick releases
Gives you the option of driving around without glass in and makes it much easier to clean and lube the seals

Old 02-07-2013, 04:09 PM
Diaita will become famous soon enough

They recommend the 16x36 for the Blazers

Old 02-08-2013, 09:59 AM
mykeboy01 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Diaita
They recommend the 16x36 for the Blazers
Thank you kind sir!!!

And I know of the risks. Like I said before, the roof that was installed on my last Blazer was in for 2 years before I took ownership (2001), and remained leak free throughout my 5 years of driving. I bumped into the new owner the other day at the supermarket, and he said it is still on the road, running like a champ (200+k miles!) My baby needed some TLC, that I was not willing to give it anymore...

Maybe I was lucky, because I know of people who have had them, and had nothing but problems. They also didn't take care of the sunroof the way they should have. Gaskets get old, crack, leak...etc. I am a man of maintenance!

And to rexazz2: That added a whole new dilemma to my install: I've overlooked the fact that I have leather in this truck! Oy Vey!!! Well, that would suck in the summer time (it already does!)