Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Bed liner as a paint job

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010 | 08:04 PM
ComputerNerdBD is on a distinguished road

I know I am going to get laughed at for asking this question, but is it possible to paint over bedliner paint to make it a different color? I was looking at painting the whole truck with that stuff and then painting over it with blue.

Old 04-12-2010 | 08:12 PM
Starting Member
Zeeke98 is on a distinguished road

Good brands can color match most any factory color now. Paint wouldn't stick to the bedliner anyways.

Old 04-13-2010 | 12:13 AM
latreille89 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Zeeke98
Why didn't you do the front bumper too? Looks incomplete the way it is.
I just didn't think is would look nice... Plus the front bumper doesn't have a scratch on it. I like it the way it is.

Old 04-20-2010 | 01:19 AM
Beginning Member
madcow is an unknown quantity at this point

I had painted mine from the trim down all the way around last summer, but I rushed it, so I have some fixes and repaint that I need to do this year but it looked good on my white blazer. Ill have to get pics to post when its redone

Old 05-07-2010 | 03:44 PM
ComputerNerdBD is on a distinguished road

Is it advisable to strip the paint down to the metal before applying bedliner or would simply sanding the clearcoat away be the best way? Which is the best way to keep the rust away?

Old 05-07-2010 | 08:07 PM
Starting Member
Zeeke98 is on a distinguished road

If the paint is in good shape, just scuff the surface up with a red Scotchbrite pad or 600 grit wet sand paper. That's what they do with commercial bedliner applications. Factory primer and paint is going to be your best rust protection. I'm not sure how well bed liner material seals the metal if you were to spray it on bare metal. I think most people at least do an etching primer first before bed liner.

Old 05-08-2010 | 08:15 AM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

x2 on what zeeke98 said...thats what i did, just enough to scuff it up.
mines been on for just over a year...holding up great.

Old 05-14-2010 | 02:18 PM
Beginning Member
dcoral is on a distinguished road

Hi Fellas, I am pretty new here also but I think I found a New Browsing Home... I love this Joint... I did my 96 2 Summers ago to try and save it from the Evil Rot all these Blazers take on in the North East....I used Herculiner, which is paint-able...

I was Very Pleased with how it turned out, but I wish I never went above the Rear Bumper.... there was a Rot hole there I filled, so I figured I would just kill 2 birds with one stone... otherwise I was happy with it... I had enough to do 3 thick coats with one can, and the stuff turned hard as a Rock by the Next day...

I just bought a Black 2001 ZR2 Yesterday (Gorgeous)....One of the things I was sure to check was the inner panels, and rocker panels where these things are known to start rotting out...Everything is rock solid, but there are 2 spots underneath on the rockers where the paint has flaked...SO, I am considering doing another Herculiner Job right away, but not as high up, just to protect it before it gets to the point where my red 96 got...

I am wide open to other ideas, links, or suggestions to anything you folks have done, or seen, especially in the North east where Salt does not agree with these Blazers whatsoever!...

Great Forum Folks! Damn Glad I found you!

Attached Thumbnails Bed liner as a paint job-hercublazer1.jpg   Bed liner as a paint job-hercublazer2.jpg   Bed liner as a paint job-hercublazer3.jpg  
Old 05-17-2010 | 09:10 PM
Beginning Member
LinkTGF is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by latreille89
Hey guys, new here and just checking out the site.. I just got Line X to do my blazer a few days ago, looks amazing and tough as nails. Plus its warrantied for life not to chip or crack.

Hope that helps any one interested in doing this. Results were great.

that's gorgeous! How much did all of that cost, and also what year is your Blazer? It looks to be about the same as mine (1998) but the trim is different around the wheel wells

Old 03-29-2011 | 01:50 AM
Beginning Member
avelate63 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by latreille89
Hey guys, new here and just checking out the site.. I just got Line X to do my blazer a few days ago, looks amazing and tough as nails. Plus its warrantied for life not to chip or crack.

Hope that helps any one interested in doing this. Results were great.
haha i agree!! i have an 03 2 door, same color and this is exactly what i was plannin on doing. def awesome to see an exact example. just personally think the black wheels and 30's i have will be perfect.

Quick Reply: Bed liner as a paint job