Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Best paint to use on a rusty frame

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 11:46 PM
Bad Ramer Jamer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Best paint to use on a rusty frame

[hr]

I don't have any rust on the body. But my frame looks like hell. I thought about using some good ol Rustolium. I don't want to get into anything like P.O.R. What would you guy's recomend. Also, what sheen. Gloss or flat. The truck is black, I would guess flat. What do you guy's think. Thank's.[/align]

[/align]

Old 09-22-2008, 12:41 AM
bad350v8s10tahoe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Best paint to use on a rusty frame

power wash it real good and then rattle can undercoat the frame, easy to touch up later too. thats what i have on mine, the suspension is all semi gloss black rattle canned too

Old 09-22-2008, 01:08 AM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

Definitely buy the rubberized undercoat spray. Its about the same price as black paint. The paint will come off the frame if you have some coolant/tranny/oil leak. Also if anything corrosive gets thrown up off the road, it'll take the paint off. Rubberized is what all the cool kids use

Old 09-22-2008, 07:48 AM
Bad Ramer Jamer is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought if I used under coating it would make it difficult to remove bolts and stuff later on when I needed to work on it. But if that seems to be the way to go,,,Ill go with what the cool kids use. [sm=shades.gif]

Old 09-22-2008, 10:29 AM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

Well the rubberized coating doesnt go on as like a solid sheet. You could easily still get a socket/wrench on a bolt you needed, and you'd have no problem cranking it off.

The only draw back is that heavy offroading (or poorly planned offroading in my case) seems to be pretty rough on the rubberized undercoating. Mine feels like a stiff corkboard to the touch, and can be scraped off relatively easily. But for the cost, its no problem to touch up scraped spots I find after washing off the mud and dirt.

The more I think about it, some spray on bedliner might be a better choice for the long run...but that gets much more pricey.