Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Best way to get stuck torx screws out

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 08:44 PM
Beginning Member
GregC5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Best way to get stuck torx screws out

So I am trying to take the carpet out of my 93 full size blazer and am running into trouble taking out the torx screws that hold the rear cleats and the rear seat brackets down. Ive sprayed all the screws with WD-40 from under the truck but several of them still won't budge. I've also tried using an impact driver to no avail. Any suggestions for getting these torx head screws out? My next move was to get a blowtorch to heat the nut from underneath.

Also, I rounded one of the torx screws out on one of the rear cleats. What is the best way to remove it once it is stripped?

Thanks.

Old 10-12-2008, 09:10 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Best way to get stuck torx screws out

Heating can be tricky with the carpet intact. How experienced are you at such a task?

As far as rounded out torx bolts, you are going to have some fun.

What are you using as an "impact driver"? An air impact gun?

Old 10-12-2008, 09:12 PM
NVANZEE will become famous soon enough

i also have a problem removing these. I got one out but the other 3 broke loose. Im assuming the nut on the other side was welded to the body and it broke free. So now the bolt just spins and i cant get a wrench under there due to the fuel tank being in the way.

Old 10-12-2008, 09:40 PM
Beginning Member

The impact driver I'm using is one of those tools that you hit with a hammer and it gives the screw about a 20 degree turn. Anyway, I am not experienced at using heat to get frozen screws loose, but I have already cut out the rear carpet. I'm don't really want to drop the fuel tank, so using the torch is probably my last resort. How are the nut plates held onto the underside of the body? If I can cut the top of the screw off can I pull the nut plate off and glue it (?) back on later?

Do you suggest any particular tool for removing the stripped screw?

Old 10-12-2008, 09:48 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Is this a small screw of a large bolt? If it is a large bolt, your best bet, if cutting off the head, would be to drill then use an easy-out. But you will need to soak the bolt long before attempting to remove the remaining portion. Snap off an easy-out in the bolt and you will have a lot of problems getting it back out.

As far as heat is concerned, you just want to be sure that you will not cause a fire inside. Fire would be very bad. Always have a fire extinguisher (or two) on hand when using a torch on a vehicle. It also is very advisable to have a friend there with the fire extinguisher at the ready, watching the top side of wherever you are heating.

Old 10-12-2008, 09:53 PM
Beginning Member

The rear cleat screws are a T-45 and the rear seat mounting plate is a T-50, so they are rather large. Never had to get a broken bolt out before, but I guess there is a first time for everything. I hate those torx head bolts. I think I will replace them all with standard hex-heads once they are out.