Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Body mount retainers

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2019, 07:11 AM
PSS-Mag is on a distinguished road
Default Body mount retainers

So I had to lift the body and in the process the 2 kick panel bolts one was rusted in 2 and came apart as soon as I touched it. The other the retainer broke and so i cut the head of that bolt.

Good news all repairs are done except those 2 kick panel bolts. I plan on just cutting the floor above them and then cutting the retainers out and either:
A: drill the bolts out of the retainers with an 11mm drill bit on the drill press and then weld it all back together.

Or B: cut 2 out of my donor vehicle and weld it all back together.

Is there another option that I'm not seeing or thinking about that don't involve cutting huge holes in the floorboard?

Thanks in advance for any knowledge, advice or ideas.

Old 12-11-2019, 11:06 AM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

I would think about cutting the floorboard with a hole saw to get the old nut/retainer out, then dropping a bolt with a washer down from the top, putting a nut on the bottom, and using a snap-in plug to cover the hole.

Old 12-11-2019, 07:29 PM
PSS-Mag is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Tom A
I would think about cutting the floorboard with a hole saw to get the old nut/retainer out, then dropping a bolt with a washer down from the top, putting a nut on the bottom, and using a snap-in plug to cover the hole.
That was kind of the original plan to get them off. I drilled a 7/16ths hole and used that to squirt with PB blaster every day for 2 weeks before removal. Then was going to use a push in plug, throw the carpet over it and no one would be the wiser for atleast 20 years until carpet is replaced or body mounts rust out which ever comes first and someone replaces them. Lol

unfortunately to cut the retainer strap to get the retainers (and remainder of bolts) out. It requires a much larger hole about 4" using the smallest cutting wheel I've got to cut the straps. I can probably save these or I've got a parts Blazer I can cut the retainers out of it and then weld the retainer strap back together.

Just wasnt sure if through the floorboard was the best way or if I was in a mind rut and couldn't see the easier way that could be right in front of me. Sometimes I get an idea in my head and I cant see around it. Often my ideas are not the easiest way. I am a chronic over thinker. Lol They still work, just takes more time and effort than what is required. Lol