Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

boneyard grille guard - restore

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 11:00 AM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough
Default boneyard grille guard - restore

picked up this gem for 30 bucks.
i figure i can wheel the hell out of it and etch prime and paint/ bedliner in a can this bad boy.

anyone have any advice before i get to work, as in having done this and any areas i should be aware of. should be straight forward restore and rust treat.

thanks

Attached Thumbnails boneyard grille guard - restore-1207090945.jpg  
Old 12-07-2009, 11:04 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Nice find!! Wish I could find something that cheap.
As for the restoring, looking at how rusty it is you may want to invest in some Rustoleum primer just to ensure the best bond possible. Either that or some specially formulated rust primer. Obviously try and get as much of the rust off as possible. It looks like mostly surface rust so I don't see you having much of an issue.
Couple coats of primer and a couple coats of paint should do it. Any thoughts on using undercoating for a finish?

BTW - Your Blazer is nearly identical to mine but 4dr lol. We both have the painted rims and the tinted lights. Lookin good!

Old 12-07-2009, 05:04 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

great minds think alike...mine is four door because i needed a family cruiser that i could still play with.
yup the steel is still solid, only surface is rusted. it came off pretty easy which was a bonus. the only hang up is that it came off a cherokee. the width is fine, just needs a little massaging with the cutting wheel. to small bumper mount brackets that are coming off.

i fig. i would wheel it and use some rust "converter" primer and/or metal etcher.
i also was going to finish the job with the good old bedliner in a can that i used on the rockers. it is cheap and easy. then later light that baby up!!!

Last edited by warthogdriver; 12-07-2009 at 05:15 PM.
Old 12-07-2009, 05:29 PM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Sounds like a great plan. Keep us updated...I want progress pics!

Old 12-07-2009, 05:56 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

use POR-15 for the base coat. it's a primer & a sealer-works amazing! the only draw back, it's not UV friendly. but considering how your truck sounds alot like Alex's, it'll work just right for you.

the UV rays turn any of the blacks to a dull "flat" finish. the paint doesn't come off-in fact it's pretty durable. it lasted 6 yrs on my drive shafts before any indication of rust (probably guessing stones finally chipped the paint).

if you use the POR products, just follow their directions-to the "T". in fact, if you just brush off the loose 'n flakey stuff off the push bar, it'll stick better than using a wire wheel to remove it.

here's a link to their site;

POR-15 paint

GL with your resto job.

Old 12-21-2009, 07:26 PM
BF Veteran

well, i haven't given up on the guard...holidays are slowing my progress a little bit.
i have it stripped and am working out the mounting details (cardboard mockup)
i will report in when i make some progress.

Old 12-21-2009, 10:52 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

damn it man! get out of my build! first you pull off my dream two tone rockers now you are converting another grille guard to work on you truck! damn you and your ability to finish all of what i put off!!!

that being said, my brush guard only has some surface rust. a lot less than yours, but my plan was the same: wire brush it clean, converting primer, bedliner in a can, reassemble and mount to fabbed brakets! hope you make some good progress! keep us posted!

Old 12-22-2009, 05:57 AM
BF Veteran

Hey hey hey. Curtis, let's not forget where you're getting a lot of your ideas from. You rip me off, he rips you off. It's a cycle

Old 12-22-2009, 09:44 AM
Unlimitedsp is on a distinguished road

If you dont want to spend much money, Rustoleum Rust Reformer works great. Spray it on, let it dry and top coat it. It holds up well. Used it on some jeep bumpers some time ago.

Old 12-22-2009, 09:49 AM
cbr995 will become famous soon enoughcbr995 will become famous soon enough

Good find.
Looks like it won't need too much work.

Quick Reply: boneyard grille guard - restore