Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Brainstorming Fender flare ideas? thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2020, 04:12 PM
Beginning Member
Alexzannder is on a distinguished road
Question Brainstorming Fender flare ideas? thoughts?

Hi everyone! So although I do not plan on modding my '00 Blazer just yet, once I get my other car on the road I plan to customize my blazer a bit. I wanted to spitball an idea here that I haven't seen anyone try in my searching. The basic idea would be flat style fender flares, has anyone heard or tried this before?

My idea, which would require a bit of body work/modding, which I think I'll be able to do, would be to cut out where the stock "flares" are on the car which would give the outside of the wheel well a few more inches of space (yes I know this would also require to cut/mod the rear doors as well). After cutting out the old and making it work, I would add on flat style fender flares by either buying a universal rubber or possibly fabing my own metal ones. I don't really want to add much width to the blazer so they would only be a few inches wide, Cutting the stock "flares" would probably take off maybe a inch so I would probably only try and add a few inches back on. My goal for this would be to try and fit the largest tires I could on the car without needing to do an obnoxious lift.

My current thoughts on my goal for the car is to do the above mention mod with a ~2inch lift, and beefy big tires on (which would also lift the car).
Edmunds claims the stock clearance on a 2000 blazer is 8.4 inches, adding 2 in lift and say (for example) a 35in tire (stock is 28in, 7 inch difference meaning a 3.5in true lift) would give me a rough clearance of 13.9 in, I think. I'm new to this side of car modding so please tell me if I did all my math right. (my other car is a MINI so lifts, bigger tires, offroad, etc. was not something was looking into).

Again, these are all just thoughts that I was thinking would be a good idea to spitball with the community on here. any helps/ideas/thoughts/feedback would be greatly appreciative (even if you think this whole idea is crap, let me know why!)

Old 12-10-2021, 09:02 PM
Beginning Member
Alexzannder is on a distinguished road

Must not be a well liked idea... huh

Old 12-11-2021, 10:16 AM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Alexzannder
Must not be a well liked idea... huh
I haven't seen where anybody else here has done what you're describing. I have "universal" rubber flares on mine, but I opted not to cut the fenders and went with the obnoxious lift instead.