Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Bumper Cover advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 03:56 PM
Starting Member
JediKnight2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bumper Cover advice needed

My bumper cover is driving me nuts...the paint is coming off of it so I want to get it fixed. I have attached photos of the cover so you can see what is going on with it...which I am sure you know of already. Is this something I can sand down and repaint or do I need to buy a new bumper cover and paint it? If I can strip it...what is the best way to do that?

Old 09-08-2008, 04:02 PM
2002XTREME is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Bumper Cover advice needed

That actually looks like the clear thats dissapearing from it not the paint, if you take it to an autobody shop they can prob just sand it down to the paint maybe respray it and then reclear it to be done the right way.. unless if you wanna do it yourself get sum wetsand paper keep it wet, get a squeegee to wipe away the water after you make a few passes you`ll see if the area is faded then your ok with it being scuffed down, you can get the dupli-color paint at most auto stores and repaint and reclear it yourself.. its all up to your taste of the outcome, professionally done or shade tree.. I guess $ would count in there aslo somewhere..I have a friend in the autobody business so stuff like that is free for me cause i do most of the work myself and then he paints it..

Old 09-08-2008, 04:03 PM
Starting Member
JediKnight2 is an unknown quantity at this point

So if I do it myself...just wet sand it to scuff it up and paint over it? What grit do you think?

Old 09-08-2008, 04:07 PM
2002XTREME is an unknown quantity at this point

600 wet its the black paper... make sure ya keep the area wet while your doing it.. Have a rag soaked with water running on it while your doing it or have a garden hose running slowly to keep water there,once you think ya have it the way ya like it mask off the areas not to be painted ( dont use newspaper) the paint goes right thru it.. home improvement stores have paper for that or you can use plastic.. Good luck doing it..